chapter twenty nine

—ARES AND DRACO WALKED INTO BORGIN AND BURKES. They did not notice the three pair of eyes on them— watching them from outside— while they walked inside.

"They're probably going to buy some dark shit," mumbled Ron Weasley in disgust.

Hermione Granger nodded in agreement, watching as Ares picked up an ancient artifact and put it down.

They were outside, hiding right on the roof of another store as they spied on them.

"He's changed, hasn't he?" asked Harry Potter, more to himself than the other two.

"Who?" asked Hermione, following his gaze. She grimaced. "Riddle?"

Harry nodded. "His looks. He's changed."

Ares had changed. He was taller and lost some of his baby face. His hair was a bit more full, almost as if he didn't have the time to cut it, and his clothes seemed newer.

"Why would you notice that?" Ron asked in disgust. He shook his head at his friend's words and watched the two in the shop.

Harry merely shrugged. "Look, they're buying something." He noticed.

✫ ✫ ✫

Ares looked at the artifact in his hand and looked at the man. "How much for this?" He held it up.

Mr. Borgin grinned. "120 galleons."

Ares looked at the artifact and put it back down. He looked at the dust on his fingers and rubbed it on his clothes. "Too much."

"100 for you, Mr. Riddle." Mr. Borgin decided.

Draco shook his head. "70 for him, Borgin."

"I don't want it," said Ares with a shake of his head. He looked around the shop. His eyes stopped on a diadem. He walked over to it and grabbed it.

Etched upon the surface of the diadem was the quote: "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."

"How much for this?" asked Ares, holding it up.

Draco frowned at the unusual item.

Mr. Borgin thought about it. "50 for you, Mr. Riddle."

It seemed like he did not know the value of the diadem. Oh, but Ares knew what it was, thanks to him reading a few books about Hogwarts and its finders.

Ares took out his Gringotts card and gave it to the man, who charged it and then gave him the card back.

Ares took it and put the diadem back in its box, which was next to it. He closed the box and looked around again.

There wasn't anything else he wanted. He looked at his cousin. "Let's go."

Draco nodded and followed him out.

✫ ✫ ✫

Ares put the diadem in his trunk. He couldn't believe what he found so easily.

Rowena Ravenclaw's famous diadem.

"Why'd you want that?" asked Draco curiously, who was by the door, watching him.

Ares merely shrugged. "I liked its shine." He deadpanned.

Draco rolled his eyes.

"By the way, Potter, Weasley, and Granger were spying on us."

That straightened Draco up. "What?" He asked in shock.

"Yeah. I saw them when they weren't looking."

"How dare they!"

"It's fine, Draco. I don't really care."

"I do!"

"Just forget about it."