chapter forty four

—ARES HAD NOTHING TO DO. So, he went to the Astronomy tower late at night. The person he expected to be there, was unfortunately, there.

"Miss me, Riddle?" Harry Potter grinned when the boy came into view.

Ares walked over to him and sat across of him, in his usual place. "More like I missed the view."

"Which view?" Harry pointed to the sky. "That?" And then pointed to himself with another grin. "Or this?"

"Don't flatter yourself, Potter."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Just a joke, Riddle."

"A stupid one, at that."

"Sure."

Ares quietened and looked away, looking at the sky instead. "What brings you here instead of the view, Potter?"

"Trying to make conversation, Riddle?"

Ares glared at him. Harry openly laughed. Ares felt his heartbeat quicken, so he looked away.

"Joking, again, Riddle." Harry sobered up and replied to his previous question, "Honestly, I dunno. I was tired of Ron and 'Mione bickering the whole night, so I decided to come here instead."

Ares hummed.

"What brings you here?"

"No reason, actually."

Harry raised an eyebrow at that, but didn't reply. After a few minutes of tense silence, Harry asked, "What would've your boggart been?"

"Nothing," replied Ares truthfully. Pfft. As if he was scared of anything.

"Big ego," said Harry with another roll of his eyes.

"I'm serious." Ares said, then asked, "What would've your boggart been, Potter?"

"I already know my boggart."

"What was it?"

Harry quietened. He didn't reply for a few minutes. Ares didn't mind. He didn't think Potter would actually share his fear with him of all people.

Harry surprised him by saying, "Lord Voldemort."

Ares stilled and looked at him. He didn't expect anything else from Harry, but he was still surprised.

"How— how does he look?" Ares asked curiously.

Harry replied, "I saw some pictures of him in old newspapers. Some of his olden days, back when he was a teenager. My boggart didn't take form of that. It took form of the snake-like version of him that I see in my nightmares."

Ares swallowed and looked away, trying to ignore the pinch in his heart.

"You look like him a lot. Not the snake version of him," Harry added the last part quickly, not wanting to offend the other boy. "But the teenage version."

"Everyone tells me that," mused Ares.

"It's true."

"Doesn't that scare you, Potter?"

Harry shook his head honestly. "Not really. It's not that version of Voldemort that I'm afraid of."

Ares hummed in thought.

"Why do you return after always finding me here?" Harry asked curiously.

"I'm usually the one here first, Potter. I should ask you that."

Harry's lips quirked up. Ares was right.

"Let's just say I find peace here for than in the common room," replied Harry, looking at the boy.

Ironic, wasn't it? How he found peace in the place he would later on find destruction.

"Can't say the same for myself," lied Ares right through his teeth.

Harry fully smiled at that. "Sure, Riddle. Sure."