chapter twenty one

—ARES WAS READING THE BOOK BLAISE GAVE HIM IN THE LIBRARY. He supposed he shouldn't be seen with a dark book in his hands, but he truly did not care.

He liked the quiet vibe of the library. It was another favorite place of his in the castle.

But he hated the people in it.

Ares looked up when he heard a jinx cast on him. He immediately put up a shield spell and watched as the jinx disappeared into the shield. He stared at the Gryffindor fourth year and glared at him. He stood up, all thoughts about his book forgotten.

He never stood up for himself whenever others would try to jinx him. But he had enough. He truly had enough. He had to show them a lesson. They had to know who they were dealing with.

He pointed his wand at the wide eyed boy. "Confundo." He said, watching as the boy started to look confused. He needed the confusion from the boy so that the boy wouldn't try to defend themselves. Then, he said, "Diffindo." He pointed his wand at the boy's arm.

A huge and painful cut appeared on the boys wrist down to his elbow.

The Gryffindor boy stopped being confused and let out a blood curling scream as he fell onto the floor in pain.

Ares rolled his eyes. Come on now, he was just being dramatic.

Everyone in the library stared at Ares in shock and they all looked terrified. The librarian rushed over to them and caught the boy, looking wide eyed as she stared at Ares. "Dumbledore's office! Now!"

Ares looked at the Gryffindor boy. He started it, not Ares. And yet Ares was the one getting punished?

He rolled his eyes again and grabbed his book, rushing out of the library to avoid everyone else's eyes. He started walking to Dumbledore's office.

He supposed the spell was too much. But it was a lesson to everyone. They had to stop messing with him.

When Ares reached the griffin leading to Dumbledore's office, it opened itself, almost as if expecting him. Ares walked up the staircase and knocked on the door.

The door opened.

Ares walked in and closed it behind him, staring at Dumbledore.

Dumbledore looked at the boy over his spectacles. He couldn't believe it. News had reached him fast. "Sit down, Ares." He motioned towards one of the chairs in front of his desk, where he was already sitting at.

Ares swallowed and sat across from Dumbledore. He ignored the paintings on the walls, that all muttered his name.

"Ares? As in Ares Riddle?"

"This is the boy?"

"He looks so much like his father!"

"Quiet." Dumbledore looked at the paintings sternly. He turned back to the boy. "What have you done, Ares?"

Ares looked straight into the headmaster's eyes. "He started it. He tried to jinx me."

"And you cut his arm?" Dumbledore frowned heavily, looking at the boy in shock. "Have you got no heart?"

The young boy shook his head. "No."

"I figured as such," said Dumbledore, crossing his arms, not once looking away from Ares. "Come in." He said, when someone knocked on the door.

Severus Snape walked in and closed the door behind him. He walked over to Ares and looked at Dumbledore. "He was merely defending himself," said Snape monotonously.

Dumbledore shook his head. "He went too far, Severus."

Snape didn't argue. Dumbledore was right. But so was he. "He was merely defending himself, Albus."

"If it was a Gryffindor defending himself like this, you'd have let them go. Especially if it was a certain Potter." Ares wrinkled his nose after he finished talking.

He was also right.

Snape and Dumbledore shared a look between them. "Detention for the rest of the year, Ares. And fifty points from Slytherin." Dumbledore said and leaned in. "I heard you spent this summer at the Malfoys. Is that true?"

Ares frowned. Why did he care?

Albus noticed the young boy's look. "I am sending them a letter concerning your behavior."

Ares almost let out a laugh. Lucius himself was the one who had taught him the spell just incase someone tried to jinx him again.

Oh, Lucius would be proud. Let Dumbledore send them a letter. Cissa would probably kiss his cheek and congratulate him.

"Fine." Ares said and stood up. "Is that all?"

"May I look at that book?" Dumbledore asked, motioning towards the book in Ares's hand.

Ares shook his head. "No." He did not want to lose this book. He was already only twelve pages in and he loved it.

Dumbledore still took the book. Ares let him, albeit reluctantly.

Dumbledore hummed as he looked at the title. He almost paled. "Secrets of the Darkest Arts?" He looked at the boy with a raised eyebrow. He opened his drawer and put the book in it, then closed it. "I'll be keeping that, Ares."

"I doubt you'd want to study the Dark Arts, headmaster." Ares glared at him. "Give it back. It was a gift."

"From Blaise Zabini, I heard." Dumbledore looked at the boy and shook his head. He let out a sigh and leaned in. "Ares, you do not have to turn to your father."

Snape tensed and merely listened, looking at the boy's reaction.

Ares's face was devoid of any emotion. "That's where you're wrong, Dumbledore." He said without looking away from the old man. "I am my father."