chapter three

—PROFESSOR MCGONAGALL NOW STEPPED FORWARD HOLDING A LONG ROLL OF PARCHMENT. "When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said. "Abbott, Hannah!"

A pink-faced girl with blonde pigtails stumbled out of line, put on the hat, which fell right down over her eyes, and sat down. A moment's pause –

"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat.

The table on the right cheered and clapped as Hannah went to sit down at the Hufflepuff table. Ares saw the ghost of the Fat Friar waving merrily at her.

"Bones, Susan!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat again, and Susan scuttled off to sit next to Hannah.

"Boot, Terry!"

"RAVENCLAW!"

The table second from the left clapped this time; several Ravenclaws stood up to shake hands with Terry as he joined them.

"Brocklehurst, Mandy" went to Ravenclaw too, but "Brown, Lavender" became the first new Gryffindor, and the table on the far left exploded with cheers.

Ares shook his head in disgust. "Bulstrode, Millicent" became a Slytherin.

"Finch-Fletchley, Justin!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

Sometimes, Ares noticed, the hat shouted out the house at once, but at others it took a little while to decide. "Finnigan, Seamus," the sandy-haired boy sat on the stool for almost a whole minute before the hat declared him a Gryffindor.

"Granger, Hermione!"

Hermione almost ran to the stool and jammed the hat eagerly on her head.

"GRYFFINDOR!" shouted the hat.

"Malfoy, Draco!"

Draco strutted to the stool and sat down. The hat didn't even fully touch his head before shouting "Slytherin!"

"Nott, Theo!"

He was also sorted into Slytherin.

"Potter, Harry!"

Of course, Gryffindor.

"Zabini, Blaise!"

Another Slytherin.

Ares noticed when McGonagall's eyes widened a bit and she looked around the first years before her eyes landed on him.

Almost as if she could find out who he was just anywhere.

"Riddle, Ares!"

Hushed whispers flooded the Great hall at once.

Ares straightened and walked to the stool. The hat didn't even touch his head before it shouted, "Slytherin!"

He let out a sigh of relief and walked to the table, all the Slytherins introducing themselves at once after they got over their shock.

✫ ✫ ✫

The dinner passed by in a blur. The Slytherins were escorted to the dungeons, where their common room was in.

Ares immediately felt at home when the prefects said the password and they walked inside the common room.

"Boys to the left," the prefect motioned towards the left staircase. "And girls to the right. Have fun."

The boys and girls separated and each went to their dorms.