chapter thirty nine

—THE BALL WAS ON THE DAILY PROPHET FOR TWO DAYS IN A ROW. Everyone had a blast. Everyone except a certain Riddle, that is. Ares had spent it alone, people watching.

Ares was now in Diagon Alley with Draco. Or more specifically, he was in Knockturn Alley. Inside Borgin and Burkes.

"You know," said Mr. Borgin as he looked at Ares, "you look so much like your father."

Ares stilled. "You knew my father?"

"Smart boy, he was." Mr. Borgin replied as if it was nothing. "He worked for us for a while. Brought in a lot of customers."

Ares swallowed and looked around the shop, ignoring his cousin's eyes on him. "Do you sell any dark books?"

Mr. Borgin's eyes lit up. "Wait here," he said as he rushed into the back of the shop. He returned a few minutes later and put the dusty book on the table.

Ares coughed when the dust hit his nose. He looked at the title.

'The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts'

Ares looked back at the shopkeeper. "How much for it?"

"10 galleons."

"Do you have any more?"

"No, but if I do, I will keep them here for you." Mr. Borgin promised as he watched Ares pull out his Gringotts card. He charged ten galleons on it and gave it back to Ares.

"I'd appreciate that," said Ares as he accepted the black plastic bag and put the book inside it. He walked out of the shop, Draco not too far behind him.

"Mr. Riddle!" Mr. Borgin called out.

Ares turned around and looked at the man in question.

"It's always a pleasure doing business with you."

Ares didn't reply and closed the door behind him.

"What was that all about?" Draco murmured to himself as they walked out of the alley.

"He knew my father," said Ares in thought.

"Everyone knew your father, Ares."

"No, but he knew him personally."

"I suppose." Draco replied. He turned to Ares and noticed his look.

Ares's jaw clenched when he noticed a certain Gryffindor giving him dirty looks when they saw him coming out of Knockturn alley. Actually, two Gryffindors. Nope— three Gryffindors, but the third one was not giving him dirty looks.

"Just ignore them," said Draco, following his gaze.

"Not like I can do anything about it." Ares replied.

Ron Weasley sneered. He turned towards Hermione Granger and whispered something in her ear.

Harry Potter, meanwhile, had his eyes on the black bag in Ares's hand. What was in there that Ares had to go to Knockturn alley for it?

Draco put his hands in his pants pockets. "Let's just go to the floo station and go back home before they cause any trouble."

"They'll tell everyone I was in Knockturn alley," said Ares with a shake of his head.

"Doesn't matter," replied Draco comfortingly. He put a hand on Ares's arm and walked to the floo station at the end of the alley. "Just ignore them, Ares."

Ares merely followed him, while looking away from the Gryffindors.

He would just ignore them.

"What dark object did you buy from there, Riddle?" Ron Weasley asked with a curled lip. He crossed his arms defensively when Ares turned to glare at them.

"Just leave him alone, Ron." Harry said lowly.

"You'll see," replied Ares with narrowed eyes.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hermione joined in with a creased brow.

"It means you'll see," Draco repeated what Ares said and ignored their looks, grabbing a handful of floo powder and walking into the fireplace there for floo purposes. "Malfoy Manor!"

He disappeared into the fireplace.

Ares repeated Draco's action, but not before his eyes stopped on Harry this time. Harry seemed disappointed in him.

Ares could not care less.

"Malfoy Manor!" Ares threw the floo powder onto the ground.

✫ ✫ ✫

For dinner that night, the Malfoy family had pasta. Lucius hated it, claiming it was a very famous 'muggle' meal. Narcissa always shot back that 'at least it was Italian'.

Every food they ate could be said that it was muggle meals, but at least they sold that food in the wizarding markets. Pasta was not sold in the wizarding markets.

Narcissa looked at Lucius's full and untouched plate. She glared at her husband. "Just have a taste, Lucius. It won't kill you."

Lucius drank the wine from his glass and shook his head. "It will."

"So, you won't eat it? What— you're going to starve yourself?"

Lucius nodded. "I just might, Cissa."

Narcissa's eyes narrowed. She defeatedly stood up. "I'll go tell the house elves to make you something else."

Lucius smugly smiled when she wasn't looking.

Draco turned his laugh into a cough.

Ares almost smiled.