chapter thirty seven

—ARES WAS UNPACKING SOME OF HIS STUFF IN HIS ROOM AT MALFOY MANOR THE NEXT WEEK. Yule had finally arrived. Draco walked into his room without knocking and flopped onto his bed.

Ares glanced at him. "Do you ever knock?" He asked as he took out a sweater from his trunk and hung it up in his closet.

Draco merely replied unapologetically, "I forgot."

Ares rolled his eyes fondly and continued unpacking. He took out his 'Magick Moste Evile' book and put it in his bookshelf. He finally had finished it ages ago, and it was his most favorite book ever.

It was filled with the dark arts. However, it never did talk about the most evil form of dark arts; horcruxes.

Ares was planning to search more about it in Malfoy library. There had to be some stuff there. He couldn't wait for it. He would go as soon as possible.

"Fuck, I forgot my other book." Ares shook his head in disappointment after searching through his trunk for one of the books Daphne gave him that he finished. He didn't want the books that he finished to take up space in his trunk, so he just wanted them in his bookshelves in his room.

"Learned to swear, did you?" Draco grinned.

Ares merely gave him the middle finger and went back to unpacking.

They both looked at the door when it opened. Lucius walked in, his cane in his hand as usual. Draco swore it was just for dramatics, and Ares agreed, but they didn't say a word.

"There is a Yule ball happening in three days, thrown by the Minister of Magic," said Lucius.

Ares and Draco shared a horrified look.

"This is the first ball happening in over ten years, so we must be there. Every Wizarding family is going to be there. Even some mudbloods," Lucius sneered at the last sentence. "We will ignore them, however, like we usually do. You both will only be with the purebloods." He looked at Draco, his son. "Do not taint the Malfoy name by fraternizing with bloodtraitors or any mudbloods."

"Yes, father." Draco stood up and straightened.

"Good," said Lucius as he turned around and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

"A ball?" Ares asked in disbelief.

"I've never been to a ball either," said Draco quickly, noticing the boy's look.

"What would we even do? Dance with the opposite gender?" Ares asked in distaste. He huffed and finished unpacking.

Draco groaned and closed his eyes as he laid back down. "I hate this. I can't believe we have to go."

"Why do you think there is a ball happening in the first place?" Ares asked curiously as he sat down next to his cousin. He grabbed the book from his nightstand and wanted to continue reading it.

Draco shrugged. "Probably because Potter is old enough to go to a ball now."

Ares hummed. That probably was the reason.

Draco stood up and walked to the bookshelves that were already halfway filled. "Honestly, Ares, if anyone saw the collection of books you have, they'd probably send you to Azkaban."

"At least I'd be near my mother," Ares mumbled under his breath.

Draco looked at him in pity.

Ares looked up and noticed it. He glared at the boy. "Do not pity me, Draco."

"I don't," lied Draco immediately. He looked away. "Why would I pity you, Ares? You have everything under control."

"What do you mean by that?"

"You're going to break your mother out of Azkaban sooner or later. And I cannot wait to see it." Draco grinned.

Ares shook his head fondly again. "I guess so."

A knock on the door caught both of their attentions. "Come in," said Ares.

Narcissa walked in and looked at the two boys. "I take it Lucius has told you about the ball?"

They both nodded.

Narcissa clapped her hands once. "Great. Now, I need to take you both shopping for a suit."

"I have many," said Draco in an attempt to not join.

"You've grown out of them." His mother replied sternly. "You're coming, Draco."

Draco groaned.