chapter twenty six

—SUMMER CAME BY FASTER THAT YEAR. Ares stepped out of the train when they reached King's cross station and walked over to the Malfoys with his trunk, Draco right next to him.

Narcissa hugged them both. Ares stilled but awkwardly hugged her back with one arm after a few seconds.

"Let's apparate you guys out of here," said Lucius as they grabbed onto each other and apparated out.

✫ ✫ ✫

Ares was in bed, reading a book, while Nagini was asleep in his lap. He looked at the clock on his nightstand. It was one a.m.

Ares pet the snake with a finger and went back to reading.

His bedroom door opened, catching his attention. Draco peeked his head in. "Can I come in?" He asked when he noticed Ares was awake.

Ares nodded, watching as Draco closed the door and walked over to him. He was careful to put a distance between himself and the snake as he sat down on the bed.

"What's wrong?" asked Ares when he noticed Draco's look.

"I dunno," said Draco honestly. He sighed and looked at the new bookshelves in Ares's room. His lips quirked upwards. "New bookshelves?"

Ares looked at the bookshelves, filled with his books. He nodded. "Cissa got them for me."

Draco hummed. "They're nice."

"Thank you."

"You know, we never did go to the Room Of Requirement to practice spells or potions." Draco pointed out, earning a nod from his cousin.

"We will in a few years. For now, we have to lie low. I don't want Dumbledore's attention on me these years, until I can handle it."

He nodded understandingly.

Ares wandlessly levitated a book from his bookshelf into Draco's hands. Draco gaped at him in shock.

"I've been practicing," said Ares as if wandless magic was no big deal. "Here, read that book with me. You'll learn some stuff about being a right hand man."

✫ ✫ ✫

"You're late for your morning lesson with Lucius," hissed Nagini, trying to wake Ares up.

Ares, who was awake all night finishing a book, mumbled something and woke up with a groan. He looked at the clock on his nightstand and immediately shot up. Quickly, he brushed his teeth and changed his clothes, then rushed to Lucius's study.

"You're late." Lucius raised an eyebrow when the boy was finally in his study five minutes later. He was an hour late.

"I'm sorry," panted Ares as he sat down across from him. "I slept late last night."

"And why is that?"

"I was up reading."

"And what have you learned?"

"I learned a bit about some dark spells and a lot about necromancy."

Lucius shook his head. "Do not even think about necromancy, Ares."

"I know. I just wanted to learn about it."

"Good. Now, let's start our lesson."