chapter thirty three

—A SHRIEK CAUGHT EVERYONE'S ATTENTION IN THE SLYTHERIN COMMON ROOM. Ares immediately knew what was the cause of it and looked around. His eyes stopped on the twelve feet snake that slithered into the common room from his dorm.

Severus Snape, their head of house, who had just walked in, turned to the young boy. "Did I not say that you had to keep the snake in line, Mr. Riddle?"

Ares glared at Nagini, who innocently started curling on his lap. "Yes, sir." He replied. He turned towards his snake. "Back to the dorm room. Now."

Nagini flickered her tongue, as if disappointed, and went back the way to the dorm room.

"Good," said Severus Snape. He turned towards the students, who were looking at Ares in awe and fear because of the Parseltongue he just spoke. "Now, students, it's past curfew. Everyone to their dorms."

✫ ✫ ✫

Blaise opened the door and gave his owl the letter he had just wrote. "Give it to Pansy and Daphne." He instructed.

His own hooted and flew through the dorm corridor, out of the boy's dorm rooms and into the girl's.

"I can't believe I wasn't chosen as a seeker this year as well!" Draco exclaimed, appalled.

Theo shook his head sarcastically. "How dare they."

"I know!" Draco agreed. "It's not fair. Potter was chosen as a seeker immediately just because of his heroics from when he was a baby!"

Ares looked up at that and stared at Draco. Draco, who just noticed what he said, winced in regret. "Sorry, Ares."

His cousin merely shook his head and went back to the book he was reading.

The door opened. Pansy and Daphne came in. Pansy was holding a letter in her hand and looked at a grinning Blaise. "You summoned us?" She asked in a posh accent.

"Yes, m'lady, I did." Blaise replied in the same accent. Pansy grinned back.

Daphne shook her head at the dynamic between the two and sat down on the ground, right next to Draco's bed. Pansy sat down next to Ares's.

Theo stood up from his bed and sat down next to Daphne, while Blaise sat down next to Pansy.

"What book are you reading?" Pansy asked Ares, who looked up from his book and showed her the cover. Her mouth dropped open in shock. "Magick Moste Evile? Where did you even get that copy? That book is almost nonexistent."

"Lucius," was Ares's curt reply. He went back to his book.

"Come on, leave the book and join us for once, Ares." Blaise tried to get the boy to join.

Ares reluctantly did what his friend told him to do. He sat down on the ground with them.

"Why didn't you get chosen as seeker this time, Draco?" Pansy asked, having heard the news.

"I don't know." Draco rolled his eyes at the Slytherin quidditch team's captain's audacity. "I can't believe I wasn't chosen. I was better than the other seeker they chose."

"What happened to the last seeker?" asked Theo in confusion.

"He graduated," answered Blaise, already knowing this. "Won't this one also graduate this year?"

"No. He will in two years. He's a fifth year." Draco said.

"Oh," mumbled Blaise in thought.

Daphne stood up when she noticed Nagini slithering on the ground. Draco, meanwhile, backed up.

Daphne walked over to the snake and grinned when Nagini let herself be pet by the girl. "You are stunning, Nagini." She said in awe.

Nagini turned towards Ares. "Tell her I said thanks," she hissed.

Ares looked at Daphne. "She says thanks."

Daphne continued to pet the snake. "I hope Dumbledore won't find out. He might try to kill Nagini himself if he knows."

"He wouldn't dare." Ares's gaze hardened.

Dumbledore wouldn't dare even go near Nagini. Ares would make sure of it.