chapter seventeen

—NARCISSA MALFOY WALKED THROUGH THE GATES OF AZKABAN, IGNORING THE DEPRESSING CHILL IN THE AIR. She gave her wizarding id to the wizarding guards there, who let her in. Narcissa was known to visit her sister often.

She walked through the doors and started climbing up the stairs leading to the floor her sister was it.

She climbed and climbed, until she was finally there.

A dementor came close to her, but then left her alone. Thankfully. She didn't want to lose her soul in the process.

She wrapped the coat she was wearing around her tightly and started walking in the direction of her sister's cell. She walked and walked, and finally reached.

Bellatrix Lestrange was in the corner, murmuring to herself.

"Bella," said Narcissa softly as she looked inside.

Bellatrix's head snapped up. She rushed over to the cell door and grabbed her sisters hand through it. "Cissa!"

Narcissa smiled at her sister. The smile faded away when she remembered what she was here for. "Bella, do you have a son?" She went straight to the point, leaving no room for Bellatrix to lie.

Bellatrix looked shocked at the mention of that, then swallowed with a nod. "How did you find out?" She whispered to her sister in disbelief.

"It doesn't matter," Narcissa replied and held onto her sister's hands.

Bellatrix's eyes filled with tears. "How is my little Ares, Cissa?"

"He stays with me, Bella. He spent Yule and this summer with me. He has his own room and bathroom in the manor, all for him." Narcissa reassured her. "He is getting well taken care of."

Bellatrix smiled slightly. "My little war god."

"Why did you never tell me, Bella? I could've taken care of him from the start. He would've never been taken to that wretched orphanage."

Bellatrix shook her head, her frizzy hair going everywhere. "I gave the dark lord an unbreakable vow to never tell anyone. Not unless they found out themselves with no help from me."

Narcissa swallowed, but nodded. She understood. But it still wasn't fair to Ares. "He's okay, Bella. He's a Slytherin."

Bellatrix smiled. "Of course, he is. He is his father's son."

"He is his mother's son, as well." Narcissa soothed the woman in front of her with a small smile. "What if I bring him here to meet you, Bella? He would love that."

"No." Bellatrix shook her head immediately. "The dementors are too much for him. I won't let it."

"Then how will you meet him, Bella?"

Bellatrix grinned at her sister, her craziness finally showing. "I'm going to wait for my little war god to become the next dark wizard and break me out."