chapter seven

—HALLOWEEN, OR AS PUREBLOODS CALLED IT, SAMHAIN, WAS GORGEOUS IN HOGWARTS. Ares marveled at the decorations, but he felt like his heart was being squeezed over and over again.

Today was the anniversary of his father's death.

He hated halloween.

"Just get out of bed, Ares. You said you liked the decorations yesterday." Draco said in worry, looking at the boy in bed. He tried to pull the covers away, but Ares wouldn't budge.

"Just leave me alone," muttered the boy under the covers.

He didn't want to get out of bed now that he knew when his father's death anniversary was after 11 years of not knowing. Draco had told him on the train.

"Today's breakfast theme was pumpkin everything—!" Blaise exclaimed as he walked into the door, but quietened when he felt the vibe. "What's wrong?"

Draco slapped his forehead at the boy's stupidity.

"Oh," understanding dawned on Blaise. He looked at the boy in bed in pity. "Oh, Ares.."

Ares abruptly stood up and started changing out of his pajamas. "I'm going to the library."

Draco shrugged."Do you want me to come with you?"

"No," snapped Ares when he finished changing and walked out of the room, grabbing his book on the way out.

✫ ✫ ✫

Ares sighed in relief when he saw the near-empty library. He walked over to a couch by the window and sat on it as always, opening his book and starting to read it.

"How could he show his face?" whispered a Ravenclaw boy to a Gryffindor girl when they passed by Ares.

The girl nodded in agreement. "Honestly, he has no heart." she said in disgust, side eyeing Ares.

Ares tensed and tried to relax himself, but couldn't. He had heard what they said, and what if they were right? He knew they were right. He just wanted to get out of that dorm room and get away from his friends, but he needed them now. He hated being alone in Hogwarts for this very reason.

Merlin, why couldn't he be a normal boy born from normal parents? Why was he so unlucky and was Lord Voldemort's son?

He looked up when someone sat next to him.

Of course. He wasn't the only one who lost his parents on this day..

"Potter?" Ares asked in confusion.

Harry gave him the drink he was holding. "I brought this for you.." He sheepishly rubbed his neck.

Ares looked at him in disbelief. "What do you want?"

"I figured I'm not the only one who lost his parents on this day, Riddle." Harry said truthfully. "I came here to get away from the whispers and I knew you would as well. I brought you pumpkin juice because I didn't see you in the Great hall this morning."

"Pumpkin juice sounds disgusting."

"That we can agree on." smiled Harry, but it quickly went away as he stood up before anybody saw them together. "Sorry, there was nothing else to bring you."

"You didn't have to, Potter."

"I'm sorry for your loss, Riddle. I truly am" Harry truthfully said in pity and swallowed. Even if it was Lord Voldemort, who was the reason of many people's death— it was still somebody's father. Ares's father.

Ares was quiet for a second before he whispered, "I'm sorry for your loss, too, Potter."

Harry merely nodded and walked away after that.

Ares looked at the pumpkin juice and threw it in the nearest trash bin without tasting it. It truly sounded disgusting.

He stood up and walked out of the library and into the courtyard, where his friends were sitting. They all looked up when they saw the boy approaching.

"Are you okay?" asked Draco in concern as Ares sat down.

"Yeah," muttered Ares.

'He's not okay,' mouthed Blaise to Draco.

"I can see that," mumbled Draco to him.

"Yule is coming soon." Theodore tried changing the subject. Which was worse. Ares had nobody to spend Yule with.

"You're invited to my house for Yule, Ares." Draco announced.

That caught Ares' attention. He straightened and looked at the boy next to him. "What?"

"My mother and father invited you for Yule. I have the letter here." He pulled out a letter from his bag and gave it to the shocked boy. "It felt like it wasn't the right time to tell you earlier, but now that Theo mentioned Yule.."

'Dear Ares S. Riddle,
You are invited to stay at our manor for Yule this year. We would love to have you.
—From, Mr and Mrs. Malfoy.'

"So?" asked Draco expectantly. "You accept, right?"

Ares' eyes almost teared up as he quietly nodded. "I accept, Draco." He put the letter in his own bag. It was proof that somebody wanted him. How couldn't he keep it? "Tell them I'll be there and be sure to thank them for me."

Draco smiled. "Of course, Ares."