chapter four

—"GOODMORNING!" EXCLAIMED BLAISE AS HE JUMPED ONTO ARES' BED TO WAKE HIM UP. "Oof," mumbled Ares as he woke up and glared at the boy.

Theodore chuckled. "He did that to me, too."

"And me." Draco glared at Blaise as well.

Blaise shrugged, looking innocent, and stood up, rushing to the mirror on his closet to tie his tie.

Ares yawned and stood up, going to the bathroom to brush his teeth. When he did that, he walked to his room and started to get dressed for the day. "I, um.." he started, embarrassed, looking at Draco. "I don't know how to tie a tie."

Draco's eyes glazed with understanding. "You do it like this," he said and tied his own tie step by step.

Ares followed along. It was easier than he thought. When he was done, he thanked Draco.

Draco patted him on the back. "Anytime, man."

"Are you ready to go to breakfast?" Theodore asked Blaise. Blaise nodded in reply. "Then, let's go."

✫ ✫ ✫

"This breakfast is delicious," admitted Ares as he bit into the pancake.

"I told you so." Blaise sat up straighter in excitement and munched on the muffin.

"Thanks," muttered Ares when their head of house, Severus Snape, gave them their schedules. He raised an eyebrow when he noticed the man lingering on him and staring at him.

Snape shook his head and carried on.

"That was weird," whispered Theodore, having noticed the same thing.

"He's the dark lord's son, of course that's bound to happen." Draco reasoned immediately.

Ares cracked his neck and looked at the schedule instead of answering them. "Potions first."

"That's the class with Severus Snape." Draco said, his eyes stopping on the teacher's table. "Hey, do you think it's weird Hogwarts has the same Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for the— what?— eleventh year in a row?" His question was directed to Blaise and Theodore.

"Why would that be weird?" Ares asked in confusion.

"Because every year the teacher changed. But after your father—" Theodore coughed during Blaise's sentence "—um.. left.. it never changed again."

Understanding dawned on Ares.

Draco stood up. "Let's head to class."

✫ ✫ ✫

Ares sat down next to Draco in the classroom and opened his potions book while waiting for the class to fill up.

Within minutes, the class was filled with students and the teacher, Severus Snape, walked into the room. He looked up when Snape closed the door roughly.

Snape took out a piece of parchment and started roll call. "Hermione Granger."

"Here," said the girl with the bushy hair at the Gryffindor side of the class.

"Neville Longbottom."

"H-here."

"Draco Malfoy."

"Here."

"Ron Weasley."

"Here."

Snape stopped and looked up, then looked at Potter as he said the name, "Harry Potter."

Harry Potter glared at him. "Here."

"Unfortunately." tutted Snape and went back to the parchment. He looked up again and this time looked at Ares. "Ares Riddle."

"Here." Ares looked into his eyes and coldly replied.

After a few minutes, the roll call was done and the class begun. Ares listened intently and even wrote down notes.

"How's your handwriting so nice and.. cursive?" Draco asked in awe next to him.

Ares shushed him and went back to listening to Snape.

✫ ✫ ✫

"Phew. We made it! Can you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if we were late?" asked Ron Weasley as he rushed into class with Harry Potter.

Ares and Draco shared a look, both of them rolling their eyes in unison.

The cat on the teacher's desk jumped into the air and turned into Professor McGonagall.

It fascinated Ares, to be honest. But he wasn't about to admit it.

Ron gulped, "That was bloody brilliant!" He tried changing the subject.

"Oh, thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps it would be more useful if I were to transfigure you and Mr. Potter into a pocket watch? That way one of you might be on time!"

"We got lost.." Potter replied, looking ashamed.

"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need that to find your seats." McGonagall shot back, pointing to the empty chairs.

Potter and Weasley nodded, sitting down and pulling out their stuff.

Ares went back to copying what was on the board onto his notebook. He felt eyes on him, and knew exactly whose eyes it was. He turned around and dead stared into Harry Potter's eyes and raised an eyebrow.

Harry Potter gulped and turned away.

Ares looked away and almost smirked but held it in.

"Now, class." Professor McGonagall looked at all of them. "Turn to page 34."

✫ ✫ ✫

"Today was exhausting." Draco said as he laid down on the couch in front of the fireplace in the Slytherin common room.

Blaise, who was sprawled on a chair, nodded in agreement. "I can feel years of stress on me already."

"Oh, hush." Theodore rolled his eyes at the boy's dramatics. "It's only been the first day."

"Only the first day and look at Ares. He's already studying." Draco pointed at the boy, who was doing just that.

Ares looked up and rolled his eyes. "So should you."

"Dinner is in 15 minutes." Draco looked at the watch on his left wrist. "Thank Merlin."

"I'm starving," agreed Theodore. "I can't wait."

"Can you bring me a plate? I need to keep on studying this." Ares asked, motioning towards the notebook filled with notes in front of him.

"Sure, but you'll miss the feast." Draco warned.

Ares shrugged. "It's fine."