chapter five

—ARES, BLAISE, THEODORE, AND DRACO WERE SITTING UNDER THE TREE IN THE COURTYARD. Ares had his nose buried in a book from the library, while Draco played with a golden snitch. Blaise and Theodore, meanwhile, were bickering over who would get the better mark on the recent test they did.

It was a month later already and nothing much had happened. Ares was almost used to the environment. Key word: almost.

To be honest, some days he couldn't believe he was still here in Hogwarts and that this wasn't a dream, but it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows.

He noticed the looks he was getting from the other houses. He noticed the spells they would secretly cast his way to make him trip or fall, but he would go the other way to not trip or fall. He noticed everything. Everything.

Including the fact that Hermione Granger, a Gryffindor first year, who was sitting on the bench near them, accidentally threw her wand right next to him.

How did somebody even throw their wand?

Ares looked up from the book he was reading and glared at the girl.

She gasped as she realized and quickly came over to take it. "Sorry." Granger said and grabbed her wand and rushed back to Potter and Weasley, who were looking at him.

"Mudblood," muttered Draco as he shook his head.

Ares nodded in agreement.

"What did you say?" Ron Weasley frowned and stood up, walking over to them.

Draco, who was laying down on the grass, stood up and repeated himself slowly, as if he was talking to a toddler. "I said: mudblood."

Ron Weasley turned red and looked at Potter for back up, who stood up and walked over to them. He pointed a finger at Draco. "He called her the m word!" He fumed.

Ares hastily turned his chuckle into a cough.

"What're you laughing at?" Potter glared at Ares. "Think this is funny, do you?"

"Very much, yes." Ares nodded, earning a grin from Blaise.

Ron took out his wand and pointed it at them. "You take it back right now." He told Draco.

Draco nodded and looked at the girl.

For a second, Ares really thought he was going to apologize. But then Draco looked at the red-faced girl and said—

"Mudblood."

"Expelliarmus," murmured Ares lazily as he pointed his wand at Ron, whose wand was thrown out of his hand and into Ares'. "Don't you dare point your wand at him, Weasel."

Ron stomped his feet. "How dare you!"

They were gaining attention from the others, Theodore noticed. He whispered something to Blaise.

"What are you all looking at?" Blaise claimed at those who were watching them, who went back to what they were doing. "That's what I thought."

"Give him back his wand," said Harry Potter calmly as he walked to Ares and held out a hand for the wand.

Ares looked at the wand in his hand with a hum. "Hmm. I don't think I will."

"Riddle!" Professor McGonagall noticed them and walked over to them.

Ron straightened and smirked. Harry swallowed.

"Give Weasley back his wand or you'll get 20 points off of Slytherin." She said immediately, looking angry.

Ares rolled his eyes and gave it to a waiting Harry, who muttered a 'thanks' and gave it back to Ron.

"10 points from Slytherin for taking his wand in the first place." McGonagall announced, catching Snape's attention, who was walking behind her.

She walked away. The Gryffindors looked smug.

Snape walked over to them. "And how, Mr. Riddle, did you get Weasley's wand?" He asked, looking at the young boy.

"I used the expelliarmus spell."

"Hm," hummed Snape thoughtfully. "15 points to Slytherin for knowing a spell you weren't taught yet."

Ares' lips quirked up when he realized their fuming faces.

Draco openly cackled. Blaise chuckled, while Theodore grinned.

Snape walked away.

"That's not fair, sir!" Hermione Granger exclaimed. Snape stopped in his tracks and turned around. "They called me a mudblood!"

"Is this right, Mr. Malfoy?"

Draco looked extremely innocent and offended. "No, sir. I would never."

"He would never, Ms. Granger." Snape dismissed her and walked away from them.

Harry only rolled his eyes. Typical Snape. His godfathers already told him about how Snape favored Slytherins.

"Let's just go, guys." Harry said as he turned around and looked at his friends. A fuming Ron Weasley and red-faced Hermione Granger followed him.

"I love Snape, man." Blaise sighed in relief and went back to bickering with Theodore.

Draco shook his head fondly and laid back down again.

"Why do they all hate me, Draco?" Ares whispered to him.

Draco immediately stood back up and turned towards the boy. "Who, Ares?"

"Everyone." He subtly motioned towards the glaring Gryffindors on one side and the whispering Ravenclaws on the other side. Even the Hufflepuffs were staring at him in disgust.

"Because of your father, Ares—"

"But I am not my father, Draco." Ares reasoned and closed his book. He looked at him and swallowed. "I never even knew my father."

"They don't know that you're not your father, Ares." Draco said in pity. He put a hand over the boy's hand. "But they can hate you all they want. We don't hate you."

Ares gave him a small smile and pulled his hand away awkwardly. "Thanks, Draco."

"Of course." Draco laid back down and threw the snitch into the air before catching it. "Besides, if you do turn into your father one day, you would be one hell of a dark lord."

That, Ares laughed at.