chapter eleven

—"ARES IS DOING GREAT WITH HIS LESSONS," ANNOUNCED LUCIUS OVER DINNER THAT NIGHT. Narcissa seemed proud. "Is he? That's great, Ares."

Ares merely shrugged. "It's all thanks to Lucius. He's a great teacher."

"He can talk to snakes." Lucius said without looking away from Ares. He had a small smile on his lips.

Narcissa's eyes widened. "Can he, now? That's great, Ares! You should be so proud of yourself!"

"Ares, that's amazing." Draco joined in, looking at his best friend.

Ares merely shrugged again, the epitome of humble. "It's not that big of a deal."

"It sure is." Narcissa frowned. "You should be really proud. The Gaunts have always had that ability from their great great grandfather, Salazar Slytherin."

"Now, that is cool." Draco said with a nod.

Ares nodded in agreement. "I guess so." He said, taking a sip from his glass of water.

✫ ✫ ✫

"You really can talk to snakes?" asked Draco that night. They were in Ares's room by the fireplace, sitting on the couches.

Ares listened to the sound of the fireplace and nodded. "Yeah. I met Nagini. She seemed to like me."

Draco shuddered at the mention of that snake. "I've always been scared of her. Do you know she's eaten people— alive?"

Ares chuckled. "That's cool, Draco." He said and looked at the boy.

"Oh, please. That's terrifying."

Ares shook his head and looked away.

"You should be a dark lord." Draco said innocently.

The other boy stopped and stared at him again. "What makes you say that?"

"You seem like you're exactly like your father. You would make one hell of a dark lord." Draco crossed his arms and shrugged. "Just a thought. And I could be your right hand man. That would be so cool!"

"You don't have the guts to kill people, Draco."

Draco looked heavily offended. "Excuse me?"

"Sorry." Ares muttered and looked away. "I dunno. Maybe I will be. For now, I'm going to try to make myself best at magic and keep on researching."

"There's a room in Hogwarts called the Room Of Requirement, or R.O.R for short. It's a room that turns into whatever you want it to turn into. You could practice spells and potions there."

Ares looked at him again, this time with parted lips. "Draco, you are a genius."

"I know."

"What if I want it to turn into a place filled with books from the restricted section. Would it turn into that?"

Draco seemed thoughtful, then shrugged. "I dunno. I think so."

Ares made a 'hm' sound and looked back at the fireplace.

"I could practice some stuff with you sometimes," offered Draco. "I want to learn too."

"Sure, why not?"

"Great!" Draco laid down on the couch and sighed. "I'm really glad you spent Yule with us, Ares."

"I'm glad you guys let me, Draco."

"Don't say that. You're welcome here any time."

"Thank you. Truly."

"Of course, Ares. You're my best friend."

Ares's eyes softened as he looked at him. "You're my best friend too, Draco."

They became silent and didn't say anything else for the rest of the night. Ares grabbed a book near him and started reading it. About thirty minutes later, he looked at Draco and saw that he fell asleep on the couch.

Ares put his book down and felt his eyes closing as he laid down, and soon, he was also asleep.

Narcissa, who went to check in on Draco, saw that his room was empty, meaning one thing; he was in Ares's room.

She went to his room and slowly opened the door after knocking on it. Her heart melted at the sight of the two boys asleep on the couches. She conjured two blankets for them with her wand and put it on them both.

She kissed her son's head. And she looked at Ares and ran a hand through his hair with a smile.

Her two boys.