chapter twenty two

—"AND THEN HE TOOK AWAY MY BOOK," EXPLAINED ARES. Blaise, Theo, Draco, Pansy, and Daphne were all listening intently.

Blaise shook his head. "I'm going back to Paris this Yule. I'll buy you the same book, Ares."

Ares looked at him. "You don't have to, Blaise."

"I'm going to America this Yule," said Pansy as she joined in. "They have this huge three story wizarding book shop. I think one story is only dark books. I'll buy you tons, Ares."

Ares looked at the girl. He almost thanked her. "You really don't have to, Pansy."

"We want to," said Blaise as he looked at the boy. "We'll buy you tons of books."

Pansy nodded immediately. "We will."

"Dumbledore's fucking insane." Draco said with a shake of his head, earning a cough from Theo for his language. "What? I'm serious. He already expects Ares to turn to his father and yet tells him not to? As if that would change anything."

Ares nodded in agreement. "Yeah. Honestly, he's the reason every teacher thinks I'm going to turn into my father, and yet he tells me not to."

Theo shook his head in disbelief. "You really cut his arm?"

"Down to the bone," confirmed Ares, thinking of the boy. Okay, maybe the boy wasn't being too dramatic when he shouted in pain.

Theo shuddered. "Merlin, that must've hurt."

Blaise grinned in delight. "Where'd you learn that spell, Ares? They don't even teach that here."

"Lucius," admitted Ares. "He taught me a lot of dark spells over the summer."

"And yet Dumbledore will be sending them a letter about your 'behavior'," said Draco with a roll of his eyes.

Ares nodded. "Lucius will be delighted, though."

Daphne, who hadn't talked at all, finally said, "My father was really into the dark arts." She started as she looked at Ares. "He was one of the first death eaters. I'm sure he has many books lying around in our library. I'll bring you some after Yule, too."

Ares nodded. "I'd really like that. Thank you, guys."

"Dumbledore can take away one book from you, but we'll give you a library of books." Blaise smiled at the boy.

Ares almost smiled back. He truly liked his friends.

"There's this one book that I really, really want." Ares looked at them all.

Draco asked, "What book is it?"

"Magick Moste Evile."

Daphne and Pansy shared a look. "Ares," started Daphne. "That book is almost nonexistent."

"There's one in the restricted section," said Ares as he thought of the room of requirement.

He had thought of the restricted section, so any book that appeared there must also be in the restricted section.

"It's almost impossible to get into the restricted section." Pansy pointed out.

Theo nodded in agreement. "If you try to go there and get caught, you'd be in big trouble, Ares."

Ares hummed with a shrug. "As if I'm not already in trouble."

"Big trouble," joined in Blaise, looking worried. "Like suspension trouble, Ares."

That stopped Ares. He thought about it, then sighed. "Fine. I'll figure out something else."

Draco, who was in thought the whole time, finally spoke up. "I think that book is in the Malfoy library," he said, looking at Ares. "I've heard of it."

Ares straightened. "Really?"

"I think so."

"If not, we'll find something." Blaise said. "We'll find a way to get you a copy of that book, don't worry."