fifty-eight ; yellow.

Everything seemed so silent after what happened to David Karofsky.

Just walking through the halls, there was an unusual hush settling over McKinley High. Students didn't hold eye contact for very long. Most conversations were quiet, and most questions were about David. Aside from when the painful news was initially announced, Alicia hadn't heard from Kurt or seen him at all. Somehow, he'd disappeared into thin air. She was sure it affected him more than anyone else in the school.

From what Mr. Schuester explained, Karofsky was in the hospital. His attempt to end his own life was unsuccessful. Just barely.

When the email was initially sent out to parents this morning, Arabella had held onto Alicia and silently cried into her hair. She barely let go in time for Alicia to get to her classes on time. Normally, such a pained display of affection would've made her feel slightly uncomfortable, this was the exception. She could understand Arabella's sudden misery because it complemented her own.

Alicia shut her locker between classes, only to reveal Finn hovering on the other side. For once, they didn't speak. A long beat passed until Finn pulled Alicia into a tight hug. She stood on her tip-toes to carefully wind her arms around his neck. 

They lingered for a few moments longer than usual before drawing back in unison. "It's crazy to think about, huh? I-I mean, after all the hell he gave Kurt last year. But now--"

"It's hard to feel angry anymore. I get it." Alicia leaned against the lockers, leather jacket pressed firmly against the metal. "I've been thinking a lot about life today."

Finn's brows furrowed. "Like what?"

She glanced down at her shoes, lips pressed into a hard line. "I mean, it's been awhile since I found out the truth about Sebastian and I don't even know if he knows. I doubt he does, 'cause he probably would've tried to blackmail us instead of Rachel and Quinn, but . . . I want him to know the truth, too. Even he deserves that much."

"So what are you gonna do?"

"I arranged a meeting with him at the Lima Bean later today. Blaine and Santana were talking about it, just to tell him off for trying to blackmail Rachel with that weirdly edited photo of Quinn, but . . . I think it's best that I handle it alone."

Finn nodded slowly. She knew he wanted to offer to join her, but she stood by her original statement. At least for this situation, she needed to confront Sebastian on her own. It went deeper than his feeble attempt to keep Rachel from participating in Regionals. 

Life was too short to hide from family. Even if it was a potentially unhinged long-lost sibling.

Alicia's hand slipped into Finn's. While she usually protested his offer to walk her to French class, knowing it made him late for his own class, she didn't have the heart to talk him down. Not today. Not when she was made suddenly hyperaware of just how short life really was.

She didn't want to risk wasting any of their time together.

"I know you're probably really nervous about how he's gonna take it," Finn said, stopping when they reached the door to her classroom. Alicia stared up at him. "But no matter what happens, I want you to-- to realize that everyone is lucky to have you in their life, all right?"

Alicia blinked.

Finn's serious expression softened. Alicia's heart missed a beat as he leaned down, pressing a chaste kiss to her cold cheek. "Including me," he murmured. Thinking was abruptly impossible. His lips quirked into his signature half-smirk as he took a few steps back. "I'll see you later."

Alicia stood there for several seconds too long. Eventually, two burly hockey players clipped her shoulder in their haste to reach the classroom and she followed after them.