thirty ; dog days are over.

As soon as Alicia stepped into glee club, she considered stepping right out.

Everyone had someone to sit with. Finn and Rachel, Tina and Mike, Quinn and Sam, Santana and Brittany, even Artie was sitting with Mercedes and Noah. And, while Finn flashed her a smile, it vanished when Rachel whispered in his ear. He faltered, pressing his lips together with a deep breath.

Trouble in paradise?

Not that it mattered to Alicia. She'd never root for the end of her best friend's relationship. That would be ridiculous and cruel and . . . just plain mean.

Besides, she loved Rachel. It may not seem like it sometimes, but she did, and she'd always admired her. She wanted her to be happy, too.

Alicia took her usual seat in the back, swallowing hard as she eyed the empty seat next to her. This was where Kurt was supposed to sit. This was when he was supposed to walk in, clad in varying hues of black, grey, and white, complaining about the neanderthals that lurked the McKinley halls.

He was supposed to.

He wouldn't.

He couldn't.

Kurt completed his transfer to Dalton Academy. Today was his first day. He was officially no longer a pupil at McKinley High. All because Karofsky got away with murder. Or, at least, threatening it.

She sighed, setting her book bag down on Kurt's former seat, running her fingers through her hair. It was going to be so lonely without him. She understood why he had to transfer and she supported him, so much, but that didn't keep her from missing him or wishing things were different.

Finn was her best friend. But that was different, her feelings blurred the lines between them. Kurt was family. Without him around, she felt unsteady.

She'd find her balance again. It only took time to adjust.

Her book bag was kicked onto the floor, nearly knocking into Quinn in front of her. Alicia jerked up, eyes wide and only widening further when she saw Noah Puckerman suddenly occupying Kurt's chair. 

"What do you think you're doing?" 

Noah shrugged. "Sitting here. Duh. Aren't you supposed to be the observant one?"

"Yes, Noah, I see that. But I am wondering why you are sitting here."

He shrugged again, leaning back in his seat and jiggling him leg. Not quite a nervous mannerism. Maybe a bored one. "Well, you looked kind of lonely. You're pretty annoying sometimes and I don't know if my ego's recovered from you slapping me twice, but I mean, you do sort of seem like a badass."

Alicia glanced behind herself, making sure no one else was there. It was empty. Right. So he was speaking to her. She eyed her book bag, adorned with pins for Supergirl, Harry Potter, RENT (made by Kurt), Wonder Woman, and Disney Princesses. "Me? You think I'm badass?"

"Not a lot of chicks would slap me. You know, when it comes to badasses, I'm number wah. But who knows, maybe you're tied with Santana or something for number two."

She realized that was the closest thing to a compliment she would ever receive from him. Knowing him, it was also the greatest one he could give. "Right. Well, thank you. I think."

"Whatever. Look, I know you're probably all lonely. 'Cause of Kurt transferring." Alicia lowered her gaze. "If I wasn't on parole, I swear, I'd make that Karofsky pay for making my boy transfer."

"Fighting violence with violence is never the answer."

Noah snorted. "On second thought, maybe take back what I said about you bein' a badass."