Night Out

"Harry, these are me friends. Liam, zayn, and Niall. Guys, this is Harry." Louis introduced everyone as they met up at the pub.

"The handsome baker you won't shut up about? Great! Nice to meet you, Harry." Niall grinned.

Harry looked at Louis who seemed utterly embarrassed. His face was flushed and his eyes were shooting daggers in Niall's direction.
"Filters, Horan for fucks sake!" Louis grunted.

Harry giggled. The night had suddenly become way more interesting. Louis was talking about him? Calling him handsome? He was happy to hear that.

They took a seat and ordered a round of beers. Niall seemed to be on a mission.
"So Harry, are you single?"

"Yes, I am. Are you?" Harry retorted. He looked amused.

"Ehm, yeah. Eh, I'm not trying to hit on you. I'm straight." Niall stuttered. His face was red as a tomato.

"I figured." Harry smiled. Still amused.

Louis burst out laughing. It was so typical of Niall to put himself into awkward situations like this. He always spoke without thinking it through. Louis wasn't surprised to hear that Harry was single though. An eventual partner had come up in conversation during their baking sessions. That was only natural. The question wasn't if Harry was single. Louis still didn't know if he was into guys or not. His so-called gaydar was failing him miserably. He could always count on Niall.

"Are you? Straight, I mean?" Niall asked.

Louis was just drinking his bear and spit it out on the table.
"Niall! You don't just go around asking people that. I'm sorry, Harry. You don't need to answer."

"Why not? Why is it such a big deal? How will I know if I don't ask? I don't have that famous gaydar. " Niall whined, looking unhappy.

Louis sighed.
"I don't expect you to get it."

"Because I'm straight?" Niall questioned.

"Yes." Louis stated.

"That doesn't mean that I'm judgmental. I don't care if people are straight, or gay, or bi, or pan, or whatever." Niall argued.

"I know that but Harry doesn't. Now, I can't speak on behalf of Harry so I'll just try to explain this from me point of view. You all know that I'm a proud gay man, well, maybe not you Harry, but now you know." Louis said and turned to Harry with a smile. Internally he was head-butting the table. Smooth, Tomlinson. Real smooth. Where was he?
"But there was a time in me life before I came out that I was nervous and scared of people's reaction. LGBTQ+ people always have to be careful even in countries like England where the majority of people accept us."

"Geez, did you really have to give me a lecture?" Niall mumbled, looking unhappy.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to embarrass you. You're one of me best mates and I love you, you know that. I know there's not a mean bone in your body." Louis apologized.

The rest of the boys had kept out of the conversation. It got quiet after that. They just looked at each other uncomfortably.
"So, I'm gay." Harry suddenly announced.

They all stared at him and then everyone began to laugh.
"Really? After me long-ass speech?" Louis managed to get out.

"Absolutely valid point, everything you said. I just felt like I wanted to put it out there." Harry shrugged.

Louis was glad that he did.