Plum Pudding

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
4 ounces shredded suet
3 eggs, beaten
1 small carrot, grated
1 apple, peeled, cored and shredded
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped blanched almonds
2 ounces preserved stem ginger in syrup, chopped
1/8 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/8 cup halved candied cherries
1/3 cup raisins
3/8 cup dried currants
3/8 cup golden raisins
4 ounces candied mixed fruit peel, chopped
4 plums, pitted and chopped
1 lemon, juiced and tested
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup ale

"You can't seriously think that I can make this! I don't even know where to start!" Louis said and stared at the million ingredients in the recipe Harry handed him.

"Start from the beginning." Harry answered.

Louis rolled his eyes at him.
"Funny, Harry."

"One cup of flour in that bowl." Harry said and pointed. He was peeling an apple.

"Alright." Louis said and found a cup. He glanced at Harry.
"Uhm, they're showing It's a Wonderful Life at Savoy tomorrow at eight."

"That film with James Stewart and Donna Reed?" Harry questioned.

"Yeah." Louis confirmed.

"I love that movie! Makes me weep though." Harry smiled.

"Me too! Eh, wanna go and see it? With me that is?" Louis asked.

"Sure! Yeah, I'd love to! No baking tomorrow then?" Harry smiled.

"You deserve a break." Louis answered and returned the smile.

"You're not exactly high maintenance. I enjoy teaching you how to bake. Eh, I hope you like it too? I mean..." Harry said and blushed.

"I'm having loads of fun. Don't worry." Louis smiled.

"Good. You can chop the nuts now." Harry said.

"Alright." Louis agreed.

Harry turned on the radio and they sang along to Christmas songs while they continued to make the plum pudding. Louis always had it on Christmas Eve. His grandma made it every year.

There was a lot of chopping and peeling and Louis would let his grandma make it for Christmas every year but he was glad that Harry taught him how to make it. Maybe someday in the future when he had a family of his own it would be something he and the kids made together?
"Lost in thoughts?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, sorry." Louis answered.

Harry looked curious but there was no way he would tell him that he just fantasized about having children. They hadn't even been on a proper date yet. Harry understood that tomorrow was a date, right? Louis suddenly got unsure. Maybe he hadn't been clear about his intentions? He better make sure.
"Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Ehm, you get that I asked you out on a date tomorrow, right?" Louis wondered and blushed lightly. He glanced at the man next to him. Harry was smiling.

"I hoped so. Since you didn't mention your friends coming along I figured it might be a date." Harry replied.

"That's me intention." Louis answered.

"I'm looking forward to it." Harry smiled.

So did Louis. Really, fucking much.