Mulled Cider

1 1/2 l dry cider
400 ml apple juice
75 g dark brown sugar
1 orange, zest strips
4 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
1 tbsp allspice berries

Louis called his friends as soon as he came home from the bakery and informed them that Harry would be joining them for their Christmas Caroling.
"Can he even sing?" Liam questioned.

"He said he loves to sing." Louis answered.

"Well, that's not exactly the same thing, is it?" Liam pointed out.

"I'm sure he can hold a tune, Payno." Louis huffed.

"Have you heard him sing?" Zayn asked.

"I didn't make him audition for singing a few Christmas songs at a couple of elderly homes. You're taking this way too seriously. It's supposed to be fun." Louis said.

"You know how much they're looking forward to it." Zayn answered.

"Well, you can all hear him tomorrow. If you come around the bakery at seven we can go through this year's setlist." Louis said.

"Alright. We'll be there." Niall agreed.

They all showed up a couple of minutes to seven. Louis took the lead and knocked on the door. He couldn't help but smile when he saw Harry.
"Hi."

"Welcome." Harry greeted them all and stepped to the side.

They walked to the back. It got a bit crowded but they all spread out around the big kitchen island in the middle.
"I hope you all like mulled cider, nonalcoholic this time since it's a work day." Harry said.

Everyone nodded their heads.
"Great! Then Louis will make some." Harry smiled.

The boys exchanged worried looks.
"Uhm, a glass of water works fine too." Zayn said.

"Hey!" Louis protested.

Everyone laughed.
"Sorry, Louis. We don't trust your cooking skills." Liam said.

Harry opened a box and revealed some of the Shortbread they had made yesterday.
"These will change your mind. Louis baked it yesterday."

"Under supervision, right?" Niall wondered, eyeing the shortbread suspiciously and longingly at the same time.

"I'm officially offended now." Louis huffed.

"Come on, guys. Harry owns a freaking bakery. Of course, they're baked under supervision." Liam said.

"Still offensive, lad." Louis snorted but then he smiled.

Zayn was the first one to take a bite. He looked surprised.
"They're really good."

Louis smiled proudly and poured the cider into a pot after Harry whispered the instructions to him. Liam and Niall complimented his baking as well.
"We obviously have to sing O Holy Night. That's a tradition by now." Liam said.

"Definitely." Louis agreed while he added ingredients to the cider.

"Let's sing it and see where we will fit you, Harry. Maybe you can start the second verse?" Liam suggested.

"Sure." Harry agreed.

Liam picked up his phone and found an instrumental version on YouTube. He pressed play and sang the beginning of the first verse.

O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth.

Harry was impressed! Liam had a beautiful singing voice. Niall took over.

Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth.

Harry smiled. Niall was a great singer too. Zayn continued.

A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

Damn! Harry was getting nervous. They all sounded really, really good. Then Louis opened his mouth and sang the next part and Harry dropped the spatula. Louis had the voice of an angel.

Fall on your knees! O hear the angels' voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;
O night divine, O night, O night Divine

He had forgotten all about his nervousness when it was his time to sing. He just hoped that he would remember the lyrics.

Led by the light of Faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming,
Here come the wise men from Orient land.

They all smiled at him so he must have done something right. They sang the rest of the song and Harry joined in on the harmonizing and they sounded good together. At least he thought so.
"Wow! Harry, that was fucking awesome. You have a beautiful voice." Louis said.

"Thanks, so do you, all of you." Harry retorted.

"Our harmonizing sounded more full when you added your voice to the mix." Liam said.

"So I can Christmas Carol with you guys then?" Harry asked.

"Most definitely." Niall grinned.

Louis poured them cups of mulled cider and they drank to that.