Chapter Six

April 8th finally came around, Jamie's birthday. I had done my best to plan the best birthday ever for him, but with everything still closed down it was really hard to. I got his mom to take him with her to go grocery shopping so I could set up the living room as a big fort for a fun little movie night. I also baked him a chocolate cake yesterday when he was doing his work out. I also planned to make his favourite food for dinner, with the help of his dad on the barbecue. By the time they got back, a had a fort set up with an air mattress, blankets, pillows, snacks, and fairy lights, for him and dinner was almost ready for him.

"Surprise!" I yelled as he walked into the living room. A big smile crossed his face as he walked towards me. He stuck his head into the fort, taking a look around to see what was inside. He came back out and immediately wrapped his arms around me.

"Baby, this is incredible. Thank you so much." He said, squeezing me tightly.

"Happy birthday, Jamie. I'm so sorry I couldn't do more than this, but I have dessert for you, and your dad and I are making your favourite dinner." I told him. He broke the hug apart slightly and leaned down to kiss me passionately.

"This is perfect, you didn't need to do anything at all baby." He said, kissing me again. I hugged him again tight, just happy that he liked the surprise.

"Come here come see what we have for dinner." I said, taking his hand and dragging him into the kitchen. I opened the oven to show him the twice baked potatoes that I was cooking, along with the veggie stir fry that was just sizzling on the stove. "And your dad is out on the deck barbecuing the steaks."

"I mean this with the upmost love and respect, and I don't mean this in any malicious intent whatsoever. But man do I love you in the kitchen!" He exclaimed, wrapped his arms around me one more time.

"I love you, J." I said, leaning in to kiss him.

"I love you, more." He whispered. I broke apart from the hug as the timer on the oven went off, and pulled the potatoes out, along with storing up the veggies and pushing them off the burner. Within seconds his dad came in with the steaks and put the tray on the table.

"Ready, Sky?" Gary asked me, I nodded to him. "Dinner!" He yelled and there were footsteps immediately.

"Let's get this birthday dinner on!" Charlie said as he and Julia sat down. We all dished the food onto our plates and started eating.

"Okay so Julia and Skyler, it is tradition that one someone's birthday we go around the table and say our favourite thing about the birthday person, or your favourite thing that they accomplished that year." Tina said as we finished our meal. I smiled up at Jamie.

"I'll start, my favourite thing about Jamie is his drive and passion for the game of hockey. It impresses and amazes me every day." Gary started off. I already loved this family tradition.

"I haven't really known you for that long, Jamie, but I love your sense of humour. Every time we're all hanging out you say the most out of pocket comment that's just hilarious." Julia said, as she was next.

"I am very proud of your time at the World Juniors. You played incredibly the entire time, you got a goal and a few assists on the national stage and I am insanely proud of you for that." Charlie stated, smiling brightly at his younger brother.

"It's hard for me to pick, I am proud of everything you have accomplished this year, but I would agree with Charlie, if I had to pick one thing from this past year it would be that. As well as being a point per game player at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup over the summer, and being the captain and getting silver." Tina said, a tear almost coming to her eyes.