Chapter Thirty-Two

"Baby you have to come out to the water, don't just tan there all day." Jamie said, coming over to Jessa and I on the beach shore at Ryan's cottage.

"I don't know what you're talking about, I barely got any colour in Barbados I need this."

"Girl, how do you never tan you're one of the most pale people I've ever met, you live in California and you never have any colour." Jessa said.

"I'm just as confused as you. Every year I buy a foundation one shade darker in hopes I'll be able to actually use it, but it never happens." I said, laughing a little bit.

"When's your Muskoka Golf thing with Quinton and Connor, J?" I asked him.

"Hey, it's not a golf thing, it's the Wasserman Hockey training camp, with a golf tournament." He said, trying to defend it.

"Oh, so sorry, my bad, too many words confuse me you know that. That still didn't answer my question though, when is it?" I asked.

"It's after this week, so when we're done here we get to go home for a day and then I'm back up here." He said. He reached into the cooler beside me to grab another beer.

"How long is it?" I asked.

"Two weeks."

"Oh." Was all I could say. Two more weeks without him.

"I'll be back after two weeks, it's not that long." He said, giving me a soft smile.

"I know, what am I going to do without you, I'll be so bored." I said, trying to return the heartfelt smile and feeling in his chest, but I couldn't do it, it wasn't coming out right.

"I love you, always." He said, leaning down and giving me a kiss, his lips tasted like Budweiser, not that I hated it, I just didn't love it.

"I love you, most." I replied as he walked back away to the guys.

"I don't know if I could ever do what you do." Jessa said, pushing her sunglasses down the bridge of her nose.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"He's away all the time. How often do you even get to see him?"

"More than you think. The shorter road trips aren't too bad, but the longer ones are hard, especially when I'm watching the games or in office until puck drop. It makes it hard." I told her. "But they are around pretty often, and I at least get to hang out with the other girls every once in a while too which makes it easier since they all know what it's like too."

"At least you have your support system." Jessa said, leaning back down on her towel, I followed her actions and picked my book back up, opening it and starting to read. We stayed like that for another hour or two before the guys came back over, Jamie laid on his towel right beside mine in the sand.

"How's your book?" He asked.

"It's good, it's an enemies to lovers, fake married trope and I love it. Packed with action it's great so far. Plus the cover is really pretty." I said, closing my book and smiling at him.

"I love the way you talk about your books. It's the same way you look when you talk about hockey."

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"You just seem so happy. I feel like I should get you a Kindle or something, you brought three heavy books up here for one week." He said, putting his arm around my shoulder. I shimmied myself into him, leaning my head on his chest.

"I would totally get a kindle, I feel like I'm just too lazy to go to the store to buy one." I said.

"That's the only reason?" He asked me, I could feel the vibration of his small chuckle in his chest.