Chapter Eight

"Jamie do we have everything?" I called into the house. We decided to go camping together, and so far I'm not sure it's going to go well. I grew up camping, but Jamie was a cottage guy. We were packing up and taking my car because there was more space in the hatch, and Jamie was so sure we were missing something.

"I don't know what's on the list?" He asked, running down the stairs.

"We have the tent, blankets, mattress, pillows, stove, dishes, lights, chairs, cooler filled with food and drinks, clothes for both of us, french press and coffee, toiletries and towels. We've got our books, a deck of cards, our chargers and extension cord and power bar. And we've got a portable sink with dish soap. Can you think of anything else?" I asked him.

"No. I also don't fully know what we need." Jamie said, with a big smile on his face.

"Well, if we're missing something my family is in the same campground." I told him.

"Wait, actually?" He asked, his voice now excited. He hadn't actually seen my family since I moved in and Covid started.

"Yeah! It's a surprise for them too. I called my mom yesterday and she said they were going to be there, I don't even know which site so let's just really hope that it's not going to be right next to us, tent walls are thin. Erin, Aiden and Amelia will have a site too so you finally get to meet Amelia!" I told him. I was also super excited to see Amelia. She's my favourite thing in the world, and I would do absolutely anything for her.

"Alright well let's get going! Get in the car, come on!" Jamie said, now excited and all ready to go. I laughed and grabbed my purse off the table.

"Bye guys have a good trip!" Tina said coming out of the kitchen.

"Bye mom!" Jamie yelled from the door.

"Jamie say goodbye to your mother." I told him.

"But we have to go say hi to your mother!"

"I have the keys, Jamie, we're not leaving until you say bye. I feel like you're the 3 year old we're spending the weekend with." I said, shaking my head. I walked over to Tina and gave her a hug to say goodbye. Jamie sighed and walked over too, hugging his mom tightly.

"Bye, mom!" Jamie said again now running out of the house again.

"Bye, Tina, have a good weekend." I said as we left the house. She laughed at her son and shook her head as well. We got into the car and Jamie hooked up his phone to the Apple CarPlay and put on the GPS to the campground, as well as some music. The car ride from Toronto was only an hour and a half so we made it pretty soon. I went inside and checked us into the site and grabbed a couple bags of firewood and a bag of kindling.

"Okay so we have site 58." I said. I gave him the directions to the site and we parked, immediately getting out to survey the area to see where to set up the tent. The only one I have is pretty big, especially for just 2 people. It's an eight person tent, so at least we'll have a lot of space for our stuff. "How about right here?" I asked him, pointing at a big space near the back of the site. Jamie shrugged, and nodded hesitantly.

"I don't know how to set up a tent." He admitted, his face turning slightly red. I laughed.

"That's okay! We'll do it together I'll teach you. It's not hard." I told him smiling. I grabbed the tent out of the back, along with some extra pegs I had packed away. I took it out of its carrying case and laid it onto the ground, opening it up from all angles. I grabbed the poles and put the into the holes with the coordinating colours. "Okay so now that we have all the poles in the correct sleeves, go over to that end and stick the pole into the peg." I told Jamie.