Chapter Twenty

"Hi Bob, how are you?" I answered my ringing phone. I wasn't expecting to get a phone call from anyone from the Ducks today, it was Sunday and the team was expected to be flying back from Vancouver, they were on a week long road trip to the west coast of Canada. 

"Good day, Skyler, we're scheduled to be back to the rink at 4:30, can you meet me there? We need to talk." He said. I could feel my palms starting to sweat. 

"Yeah, I can meet you then. In your office?" I asked.

"Yep my office. Sounds good, see you then." He said, not giving me a second to respond and hanging up.

are you going to the rink after the flight? bob just asked me to meet him there. apparently "we need to talk"

I texted Jamie, in hopes maybe he's heard something. 

Yeah I'll be at the rink, you dropped me off so my car isn't there, I'll wait for you then if that's cool?

He never responded to the Bob thing, which told me he knows something, and since he didn't say anything then it can't be good. Bob pulled strings for me so that I could stay and work in Anaheim while still doing school online at Humber while the rest of my classmates are in person. I was so sure that meant something good for my future with the team, but now I can't tell. 

Yeah that's cool.

I'm annoyed, I just want him to talk to me. He's been pretty dry with me this week, it's making me worried. I know he wouldn't cheat on me, he loves me. I mean, he just proposed to me 2 and a half weeks ago. 

I only had an hour and a half and I wanted to be ready for anything. I showered as quick as I could and got dressed, doing my makeup and just simply braiding my still wet hair. I grabbed my bag, phone and keys walking out to the car. I drove down to the rink, sitting in the car for about 10 minutes and just staring at the front doors before 4:30 hit. I reached over to my glove box and grabbed Jamie's first professional goal puck. I let out a deep and shaky breath before putting the puck back and walking into the office. The team wasn't here yet so I just walked into my office and sat down, pulling out my laptop and seeing if I could focus enough to do some work if any. I got scared by a knock on the glass door, looking up to see Bob nodding towards his office and walking away. He doesn't look happy, this can't be good. I stood up fast, and speed walked over to his office, entering slowly.

"Alright, sit down please, Skyler." He said. I breathed out as I sat in the chair across from him. "Ready to sign your first official NHL contract?" He asked.

"What?" I asked him, I couldn't tell what he was saying.

"Are you ready to sign your first official NHL contract? You made it, Skyler. If you want it, the assistant manager of game operations is all yours." He said. 

"Seriously?" I asked, a smile now showing on my face. 

"Yes, seriously. Your internship technically ended while we were away, so we'll back pay you for that week when you worked. But, it's yours. Here's the contract." He said, now sliding a couple pieces of paper over to me. I started looking it over, it wasn't much different than my current contract, just more pay which is awesome. I grabbed a pen from the stationary jar on his desk and scribbled my name as fast as I could, sliding the papers back over to him. 

"Thank you so much, this is incredible." I said. Every nerve in my body was gone, I couldn't believe this was happening. 

"You deserve it, you have worked so hard this season, and put together the best game crew I've ever seen, sponsors are all super happy, the fans are super happy, it's become a really awesome game to attend." He said happily, now signing his name on the contract as well. "Also, I haven't seen you since before the All-Star break so I want to say an official congratulations on your engagement." Bob stood up and shook my hand as I stood up as well.