27. Betreyal

(A quick disclaimer: I recommend googling the German sentences in this chapter, you get the story better!! x)

——————————————————

"Fünf minuten." The driver tells us, but I have no idea of what 'fünf' means.

"You speak English?" I ask.

"Little. Five minutes." At least he talked more than the others I had met. The doctor woman trying to tell me I had a sprain wasn't this good.

"Sind Sie sicher, dass Sie hierher wollen?" The driver asks once again, now frowning like he wasn't sure about something, but once I rise my eyebrows in disbelief he tries again in English: "This place, sure?"

"Sure?" I mutter confused. "Why didn't I just listen to mom and take Germany lessons?" I sigh to Fox and he laughs.

"They would've been useful."

As I look out of the window, doubt begins to pile up in my stomach. The buildings weren't what I had expected from Eleanor's appearance. For some reason I'd expected a fancy city with romantic little cafes and parks and all that stuff and maybe expensive shopping boutiques. This was far from my imagination.

"Where are we exactly?" I ask the driver but he shakes his head, not understanding.

The houses here were all very cheap looking grey block of flats, and everything looked somewhat haunted and disturbingly empty.
No kids running around, no people walking with their dogs, not anything happening in these dull streets.

"Are you sure she wrote the correct address?" Fox asks as suspiciously as I feel.

"Uh, yes?" But truthfully speaking I admit: "maybe."

"Something's not right." Fox whispers and I nod.

The taxi stops after a while, in a quiet street that refused to let any sunlight in. We get off, hand him money and right before he speeds off, he says "Seien Sie vorsichtig." in a serious tone. I don't know what he meant, but it didn't sound good. Something was indeed not right, I felt it in my bones and marrow.

"Eleanor will probably be here in a minute." I shudder from the cold atmosphere.

"Can you call her? This place is creepy as hell." Fox says, looking tensed.

"She didn't give me her phone number..." I admit.

"She didn't? All she gave you was a piece of paper with a random address on it?"

"I mean, pretty much."

We wait a couple minutes, growing more and more anticipating every moment passing. The street was dark, even at midday hour, and nobody seemed to walk here. It was quieter than it should've, something wicked was in it.

"It's been minutes. Something feels off, let's just go." Fox says, looking around nervously.

I'm about to deny it, stand in place and refuse to leave but in my gut I know that this was not the place to let my obstinacy take place. I always did what I had decided, hanged on that, but now? Now something in my gut was begging me to leave this place.

"Alright. I'll call the taxi back." I say and Fox looks a bit less nervous then.

I type the number in, press call and bring the phone to my ear when I see a figure coming out of one of the tiny side streets.

"There she is!" I smile and hang up quickly before anyone can answer the line. "We were just overreacting." I say and take a step towards Eleanor who was walking our way.