37. Alarming

Fox's pov

——————————————————

"Wakey wakey." A slam on my back wakes me up.

"Huh?" I startle and jump up. August was standing next to the chair I had fallen asleep, even though it was actually Livia's hospital bed my head rested on. It had been hours she had been brought here but nothing new had came up so apparently I'd fallen asleep while waiting.

Hope flutters in my abdomen at the idea of Livia waking up finally, but it dies quickly as I look at her.

There she was, laying motionlessly and eyes closed, as if just sleeping a good night. She was in a feeding tube. And it really did break my heart seeing her in that state.

Because I really, really thought she was getting better. And even though I shouldn't think about little stuff, her lying to me did stung. She could've been honest, said something about not being well. I can't even imagine how rough times she must've had, and I wasn't there for her.

"The doctor is coming." August says, hand resting on my shoulder.

I turn around to face an elderly woman dressed in shining white trousers and a coat with a red cross and a name tag 'Elizabeth Larsen'

"Hello." She says politely. "I'm Elizabeth Larsen, medical superintendent and in charge of this girl's care."

I glance towards August, surprised of the strict voice of the doctor.

"How's she?" I ask in a fragile voice, not giving a shit in what amazing career position this lady was in.

"Are you her relatives?" Dr. Larsen narrows her eyes at us. "If not, I'm afraid I will not be allowed to tell you anything. She apparently didn't have her phone with her and I couldn't reach anyone to inform about her condition."

I glance at August for help, not being able to lie straight to her face but feeling frustrated by the situation, "Well, no, I'm her boyfriend if that counts?"

But Elizabeth gives me a sharp glare, "That won't do. You have to be a relative so I can leak information."

"I'm her brother. Will that do?" August says and amazes me with his good lying skills.

"Really?" The doctor asks eyes narrowed.

"Yep, half-siblings. That's why I have red hair and freckles and she doesn't. So go ahead." He lies and I cringe.

"If you get caught lying, you'll get an entry ban for visiting her. This is serious, kids." She threatens and my heart speeds a little, but no backing up now.

"Alright. So how is she?" I ask again.

"I'd rather tell her parents this kind of information. It is not easy hearing."

August rolls his eyes and says; "Just spill it. We can handle it."

The woman sighs deeply before answering, "According to the few tests we have taken, her blood pressure is very alarming, she has a high risk for cancer of oral cavity, organ failure and heart failure. This is very, very alarming if you kids couldn't figure already."