part 6

"angel! there's someone waiting for you in the garage." zac says, as he passes me.

"who is it?" i ask confused.

"go and have a look." he replies, before heading into our driver room.

still confused, i walk into the main garage. i could see someone talking to a group of mechanics. they looked familiar, but i couldn't figure out who  it was.

i go up to them, and greet them from behind. the familiar man turns around and i smile at them. it was sebastian vettel, my mentor.

(german)

"seb!" i say

"angel! how are you doing?" he asks, pulling you into a hug.

"i'm doing good, w-what are you doing here?"

"i couldn't miss your first feature race could i? i watched yesterday too, and it was incredible. well done."

"i had the best teacher."

"it's all you angel. are you ready to race today?" he asks, as you both head to an empty corner to talk.

"i think so, do you think i'll be able to overtake a few cars?"

"100%, your starting p9?"

"yes."

"aim for at least p5, don't try to set goals too high. you need to still make them reasonable whilst pushing yourself."

"okay, p5."

"who was it yesterday? at the interviews."

"i think you know the answer to that seb."

"you need to protect your image angel alright? try to control your anger."

"i've never been able to do that seb, you know that."

"if you want to get into f1, you need to learn." he says softly and i nod.

"he was just a big dick seb. i'll stay away from him. i promise ill try."

"thank you. now go get ready for the race. i'll be watching from here. you want to be as prepared as possible."

i nod and say goodbye before heading to my drivers room. 20 minutes later, i was changed and ready to train.

i walk up to jules, equipment in hand. we do all the usual stretches, and reaction tests before i use the jump rope for a little while. i notice someone filming me, who i recognise to be for the formula 2 instagram, so i wave at them.

another 20 minutes later, i was in the car and driving onto to track. i line up in 9th and turn on my team radio.

"music please" i say.

"on it."

playing "life is a highway" by rascal flatts

once the song had finished, it was time for the formation lap. i line back up p9, just ahead of my teammate.

ahead of me was:

p1 ~ bearman
p2 ~ kimi
p3 ~ colapinto
p4 ~ manuel correa
p5 ~ maloney
p6 ~ aron
p7 ~ crawford
p8 ~ hauger

..............................................

1 light
2 lights...
3 lights...
4 lights...
5 lights...

lights out

i press my foot to the floor and start making my way up the grid. i had a good race start with a good reaction and i was already up two positions.