part 29

angelina's pov:

"radio check angel." jules says through team radio.

"yeah." i reply, my mind already occupied.

i need to win this race, i need to win. if i can't win here in front of everyone then i shouldn't race. i need to be the best. i have to be the best.

"drive out now."

i start the car and drive out of the garage, heading towards the pit lane. it's a few minutes before i can drive onto the track and make my way to the grid.

as the car pulls to a stop in p1, art mechanics come to check the car. before leaving, they all wish me good luck.

the lights go out for the formation lap, and soon enough i was waiting in front of the light again waiting for the race to start.

1 light
2 lights
3 lights
4 lights
5 lights

lights out

i push the pedal down and the car speeds forward, keeping p1. as i go into turn turn 2, ollie was not too fair behind. i have to keep him behind.

and i do. i could hear cheers from all around. it made me so proud to see all the posters with my name on it. i'm sure kimi feels the same.

the race was 35 laps, hopefully i would lead the majority. but of course i had to pit at one point.

it was another 5 laps until the red prema car start to fight me for first position again.

"bearman 0.375 behind. try to keep him there."

"what the fuck do you think i'm doing?" i reply as ollie takes the lead.

"fuck sake." i shout, so loud that ollie probably could have heard me.

there was no way in hell that i wasn't finished on the top step today, i have too. before the lap was over, i was back in p1. the crowd erupts in cheers as i do so.

"alright angel, box this lap." jules says, after another 10 laps of leading the race.

"are the premas pitting?"

"we don't know. we don't know."

"find out! i'm not coming in unless they are." i argue.

"yes bearman behind is pitting."

i pull my car into the pit lane, ollie closely behind. and behind him was plenty of other cars.

those seconds where the car is stopped in the pit lane, where i have no control, are the longest seconds of the whole race. my least favourite part. each second feels like a minutes.

finally, i move the car and the racing begins again.

"bearman behind" jules says, and i let out a breath.

"what position?" i ask nervously.

"p5, but everyone ahead has to pit, so don't fight. just defend."

and god do i defend. with the new tyres, bearman was back to chasing me. but the new tyres weren't an advantage, we both had them.

the next lap, the four cars in front pit. leaving just  one car in between me and p1. kimi.

"alright angel, again no need to fight."

"no, but i want to." i say, after all i was only 0.835 behind.

i press my foot down and close the gap pretty quickly. i'm a good driver, but so is he. i go to try and overtake but he defends.