Chapter 8

"So do you like it here so far?"

"Mhmm" Emily smiled down at the floor.

"Are you part-time or full time?"

"Depends on what my parents say. I don't know if they will let me stay in the city alone when they are ready to leave."

"Ohh, I see. Where did you study?"

"At The School of Business down town."

"That's good. I studied there myself for a few years."

Her large eyes peeked up at him and she giggled. A smile pressed across his lips. Dimitri led her into one of the fashion storage rooms.

"This is where we keep the new designs. Those over there on the mannequins were made just a few days ago."

Her eyes lit up like the sun peeking through the leaves of the trees in the morning. She walked around the room, her eyes gaping at the surroundings. Her lips parted open in awe. Isles and isles of clothing. Some of the most impressive designs she'd ever seen.

As she walked on admiring the pieces, her feeble feet stepped on the end of a fabric and she tripped. Like a reflex action, her hands reached out exasperatedly for grasp and an entire rack of clothing went down with her.

Emily lied like a starfish on the floor buried in a mound of clothing. His strong hand reached down to grab hold of her arm and effortlessly pulled her to her feet. She quivered as panic coursed through her veins.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. I'm so sorry" her voice excessively apologetic. She stooped down and immediately started picking the clothing up from the floor. Dimitri again reached down and pulled her to a stance.

"It's okay. Don't worry about it."

"No, I'm so sorry. Let me-"

He rested his hands gently on her shoulder and bent his head down slightly to find her eyes. "It's really okay. It was only an accident. It happens. Don't worry about it there are people responsible for cleaning that up."

She blushed and bent her eyes to stare at the floor. It was impossible to look at him directly for a second past a moment. Her shyness amused him and he couldn't help but to smile. He spun her around and guided her towards the front row with the most recent designs.

"This week we're working on swimwear. These were all made this week. You're free to look around. Tell me which one you like best."

She walked down the aisle drinking each piece in. Her eyes were drawn to one, the third at the end. "Wow" she exclaimed a breathy remark. "This one is amazing" she commented.

Dimitri walked closer to have a better look. He furrowed his brows and looked at her. "This one?" he questioned.

"Yes. It's so unusual. The design is different from the rest. The way it is cut. Just wow" her small voice exclaimed.

"Hmm I see" Dimitri returned his eyes to the piece, the one Valarie had created. It was only then that he had come to appreciate how spectacular the design really was. He had deliberately blinded himself and refused admittance to the fact. A few moments passed and they were both still gaping. He mentally snapped himself out of his thoughts.

"So tell me about yourself Emily."

Her cheeks turned red "I-I don't know what to say."

Dimitri chuckled. "What do you do when you are not working? How do you pass your time when you are not here?"

"Well, I tutor some kids on some evenings and go to church on Sundays. Hmm I go to dinner with my parents sometimes and I go shopping with my mommy." She snorted, recalling how infantile her tone sounded. "Mom" she cleared her throat.