Chapter 29

"Dimitri!" a voice called singingly.

He walked towards the door in complete fury. His expression softened only a little when he saw who it was.

"Mom?" he grunted.

"Hey! I was looking for you." Her eyes scanned him from head to toe and she furrowed her brows. What happened to you? You look a mess!"

He ignored her question "What do you want?"

"If you know what I found lying around on the floor in the changing room."

"What?" he spat, clearly annoyed.

She raised up her hand which held a well-crafted silver pen. "This!"

Dimitri stared at her in disbelief. Had she come all the way out here to give him his pen?"

"Well?" she questioned as the awkward silence consumed her.

His blood was like lava under his skin and his fists tightly fisted in his pockets. If it was someone else, he would have already floored them with a punch by now but the title "mother" left him with no choice but to keep his cool."

"And you couldn't have kept it for me until I returned?" he managed.

"Of course not! It's your favourite pen! You never go anywhere without it."

She stepped closer to put the pen in his shirt pocket.

"Look at you. You are a mess!"

Old habits die hard; his mother began tucking his shirt into his pants. Dimitri pushed her hands away and jumped back. His friend was still very much alive and he didn't want to give his mother a heart attack if her hands encountered the serpent.

"Sorry" he said after noticing her wounded expression.

"No, no it's okay. I keep forgetting to remind myself that you're all grown up now and I don't have to look after you for everything."

He sighed and held her hands in his then planted a kiss on her forehead. "I'm okay."

"What have you been doing back here? I believe that Valarie have been looking for you."

"She found me."

"Oh she did? Where did she go?"

"She's-. She's here" he hesitated.

"Ohhh! Really?" her face lit up.

"Where is she?"

Mrs Osbourne stepped forward in excitement to talk further into the room.

"Mom." Dimitri stopped her.

A ridiculous grin slowly spread across her face. She kept staring at him.

Dimitri furrowed his brows and looked at her in confusion. "What?"

"Oh nothing, nothing" she pretended.

He focused his eyes even more on her. "Mother..." he prompted.

"I'll uh-. I'll leave you two to it" she cleared her throat and tried to suppress her smile. "Hope to see you guys back inside once more before the night is over."

"We'll be out soon."

With that, she turned and left with the ridiculous smile possessing her face once more.

Dimitri grunted and shook his head. He returned to the back where Valarie was. She stood awkwardly by the table hugging herself.

"Who was it?" she questioned.