Chapter 14 Falling Up

Alex's POV

The alarm from my phone woke me up, telling me with its screeching tone that it was time for me to go out into the world. I huffed out a breath before sitting up and rubbing my eyes, my mind flashed over the events of last night and I inwardly scowled. I showered and changed into something simple, I walked out of my apartment and out onto the sidewalk. I began the walk to my work with my ear buds in, letting out my stress through the loud raging music.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see Ryan, in the same outfit as last night with deep bags under his eyes. I rolled my eyes and immediately turned back around, he ran in front of me as I continued to onward trek.

"Alex listen to me, I'm sorry ok? I'm so sorry for pulling that on you."

I shook my head with a sarcastic chuckle as I roughly shoved past him.

"Don't talk to me."

He sighed loudly before walking beside me at the same pace, my anger fueling as he continued to walk with me. I closed my eyes and clenched my fists as I began to count, I really didn't need to show up at work with blood stains on my clothes.

"If you won't talk to me then i'll just walk with you to work."

I stopped in my tracks and crossed my arms, he stopped as well and turned to look at me. With a quick movement I punched him in the throat, he staggered back with a wheezing sound while clutching his neck. I sighed satisfied before continuing my walk, I didn't bother turning around. Knowing that the creep would follow me none the less, I finally got to the building and walked in with a wide smile at the familiar smell of books taking up the space.

"Ah! Alex, I hope your feeling better now that you've had some rest." My boss smiled.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned as I set my bag down on the counter.

"You had the flu, and you had your boyfriend call you out of work." Realization struck me and I gave a small nod, remembering that day.

"Yea, I feel loads better." I smiled as I walked to the back and set my belongings there.

I looked to see the new shipment of 'The Maze Runner' and heaved up the large box, carrying it into the front before bumping into something and dropping the box. I look in front of me and see Ryan with a sheepish smile on his face, I roll my eyes before heaving the box back into my arms and turning to walk away.

"Alex can you just wait please? Let me explain myself."

I set the box down on the counter before turning to him with crossed arms, an eager look on his face before I look down to my watch.

"You've got a minute, you're interfering with my work."

He nodded before taking a deep composing breath.

"I just want to be close to you, ever since high school I couldn't help but feel remorce for what happened and I don't think I got the chance to apologize. I feel as if its my fault that you turned to a life of crime, if I was still with you none of this would have happened! I only said that because....because I thought that was what you wanted."

I let out a sigh as he finished, I walked up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Giving me a pleading look to understand, and forgive him.

"Ryan, I can't begin to tell you how how many people blame themselves for that. It's no one's fault but my own, I chose to do what I did and I paid the consequences. It's not your fault, and I'm doing just fine I swear. I forgive you alright?"

I watch as his eyes begin to fill with tears, he suddenly crushes me in a hug before pulling back to wipe at his eyes.

"Now don't you have a job weirdo?"

I walked him to the door and bid him goodbye, telling me that he would try harder to make things good between us. I turned back to the box and gripped its sides before taking a deep breath in, and allowing it to flow out. I took the box back into my arms before walking over to the shelves, beginning my work with a little leap in my step.

As I began to set the books up onto the shelves, and the box began to become empty I felt something unfamiliar at the bottom of the box. I look to see a very old looking book, I open it to see that all the pages are blank. "I see you've found my gift." I turn round to see my boss standing there with her bright and cheery smile, she stepped forward and set a dainty hand on my shoulder.

"Just by looking at you my dear, I can tell that you've been through a lot. I've had my fair share of harship and I always felt better after I wrote out how I was feeling, so I'm hoping you would take this book and use it to pour out you're emotions."

I ran my hand over the smooth covering of the book, it was a deep black with gold embroidery all over. It was beautiful. My mind immediately began to buzz with ideas to write in it, the endless stories I could tell through the pages as I let out what I've been holding inside of me for so long.

"You know what, this is exactly what I needed. Thank you, I really appreciate it."

She smiled before turning round and heading back to whatever she was doing. I took a seat on one of the chairs placed around the store and opened the book once again, running my hand over the smooth lined paper without a single letter gracing its page. I planned on filling these pages to the very last empty space, and I knew that with my life I wouldn't have a hard time doing that.