Chapter 18 New Friends

Alex's POV

My stomach was absolutely covered in large gashes, and it took them a while for the kind woman to clean. She patched me up well before handing me a cup of water and a sandwich, I watched as a little boy hid behind a banister and watched me from in between the individual bars. He had bright electric green eyes, dirty blond hair like his mother and pale skin. The woman later leaving walking to the kitchen as the phone rang. I still didn't know where I was.

"What's your name?" 

I called out to the boy, he looked behind him expecting to see someone behind him that I was talking to instead of. He turned back to me and pointed at myself with a furrowed eyebrows, I gave a small nod before he gripped the bars of the banister in front of him.

"Alex....what's yours?"

"Alex."

"You have the same name as me? That's cool."

He began to walk down the stairs slowly, one step at a time as he kept his eyes on me. He walked up to me and sat on the ledge of the couch that I was resting on, he turned to look at the fire in the fireplace before turning back to look at me.

"May I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Why were you in my mom's trunk?"

Silence. 

I looked to the fire myself to find it mesmerizing, not wanting to look away from the life dancing before me on the wood. Not wanting to face the reality of what had happened to me, I didn't want to remember but I felt how I got here coming back in slow smears or splashes of color whenever I closed my eyes.

"I don't know." 

The woman walked back into the room, the young boy standing up from where he sat in shock at the sudden intrusion. She walked over to him and rested a hand on top of his head, running a hand through his hair as she let out a quiet sigh only I was able to hear. 

"Why don't you go play with your toys?"

"Mom she has the same name as me!" 

"Oh really now?"

She looked back to me and gave me a small smile, before giving him a light shove towards the kitchen.

"How about some cookies? Just bought some yesterday."

He cheered before bolting into the kitchen, a light smile on my face at the sight of his bubbly attitude despite what he had found in his mother's trunk. His mother came and sat down on the ledge of the couch, her aura just giving off care and love. Something I wish that I had in my mother, yet instead she had hatred and greed that drove me away.

"How are you feeling sweetheart?" 

"I'm fine thank you, if it's alright I have a couple questions."

"Go right ahead, I'm all ears."

"Where am I?"

She looked to me with furrowed eyebrows, placing a gentle hand on my knee as she lightly scooted closer to me. 

"You mean you don't know where you are?"

"Not a clue, all I remember.....I can't really remember anything actually."

"You're in Montana."

"Excuse me?"

"Are you not from here?"

"No, I"m from California."

Silence.

"Am I able to call the police? If it isn't too much trouble."