The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 17)

For a moment, he thought as though she looked straight at him. But she shook her head thinking it must have been her imagination. At least now he could watch her without being disturbed. He had been watching her for the past few days using Black Fog. This fog was different from Red and Blue Fog Water; it let its user see anything they liked to see.

He didn’t particularly like this but it seemed like all the minds around the girl were closed. He had tried to get the horse on his side but the animal had clearly senses that his presence was not a good one. It had started jumping all around the court making his job more difficult, before he had been thrown out by the girl.

She was more powerful than he had expected.

He was sure of it that it had been her, two nights ago. He had been lost in thoughts after finding her portrait and had only been shaken out of it when he felt a presence, someone who wasn’t supposed to be there.

Now that he had watched her for a few days, he was sure it was her. It had to be, there was no other explanation. He settled back in his big armchair and looked into the Fog that was in front of him. For a brief moment he wondered why they had stopped. Why would the girl put on a cape now? Why not earlier?

He saw the girl on her dragon, holding on to the young man in front of her, while they flew toward the horizon. There was something black at the horizon, and it was coming closer fast. He didn’t know what it was yet but the dragon flew right to it.

The young man had a worried expression on his face but the girl seemed so sure about herself. This was the perfect time to listen to what they were saying. He recited an ancient spell, only he knew as it had been forgotten in time.

First there was nothing but slowly the sound of the wind filled the room.

“Is that Delstaten Solen’s army?” The young man asked horrified. The girl nodded with a smile. “Then we are doomed. There is no way we can win against an army this big.”

An army? An army meant war but a war between who and who. Clearly Delstaten Solen, although he had never heard of that; then again his maps were really old. And why was the girl so happy? It was clear that she would have to fight this massive army.

“That’s why we are here!” Her smile grew wider. “Let’s see if we can scare them away. Or at least a few.”

He could hear the dragon roar before speeding forward. He leaned with his chin on his hand and waited for what was to come. The speed of this dragon was very impressive, considering she was clearly a youngling. It was just a matter of seconds before the dragon dived to the ground, straight to the army. The big beast started turning as an arrow flying through the air before hitting the army. The girl was screaming with enthusiasm but the young man clearly didn’t seem to appreciate it.

Still turning, the dragon forced itself a way through the soldiers, who desperately tried to get out of its way.

“Seems like Sir Royalty had his roof repaired.” The girl yelled over the wind. As though it was a command the dragon shot to the coach. Its nails passing over the surface with an ear piercing sound, before ripping it off. The beast flew back into the sky, higher and higher before stopping and started turning above the army.

It didn’t take long for the men on the ground to respond. In just a few seconds, there were fire balls flying straight for the dragon. It dived to the ground, avoiding all the fire in a swift movement. Not bothering to get back into the sky before hitting the army, the beast fell in a controlled fall and after passing straight through what he guessed where the Mages, it got back into the sky.

He saw the clouds come closer and closer, as the dragon got higher and higher into the sky. Suddenly the clouds seemed to back away even though the dragon was still climbing. The girl turned around and he saw the same thing as her. A rope made of water, air and earth was trapped around the dragon’s tails, snaking between the many spikes. The other end of the rope snaked back to the ground.