The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 21)

When Daniel and I had arrived at the big dark blue tent of the knights, every single one was there along with Robin. Of course General Black was mad at me for taking off like I had but I couldn’t care less and I told him to shut up in one polite sentence. It was not the smartest thing to do because after that he refused to listen to what I had to say.

I didn’t waste more than five minutes to convince him to listen; he didn’t want to? Fine. Zjarr menaced from somewhere high in the sky that it would be a long way down from where she was. The threat was clear and suddenly all the knights were very attentive.

Along with Daniel and Robin, I explained to best I could me idea. After that I had to explain how I wanted to separate soldier from farmer; it was actually the hardest part because I didn’t even know how it would happen. Knowing that mind would have something to do with it seemed to relief Robin.

When I was done, the knights still had their doubts about the idea but Robin did a good job convincing them. After that, it was obvious I wasn’t needed anymore. It offended me a little but when I heard what they were doing I didn’t mind. I came up with the idea, now they were planning the whole thing.

There was a lot to do and not only for the knights. The holes needed to be dug without Delstaten Solen knowing, which would be easy if they were just on the other side of the river. Instead, when they would start digging, Zjarr and I would need to ask the elements for help to hide them from sight; it will be tiresome and that was not what we needed right now. On the other hand, it was only fair that we did it; all the men would spend quite some time digging the holes and they would be even more tired.

Robin would try to help as much as possible by using his elf-connection with the earth and for the rest he would just dig. Without anybody knowing about it, because we knew people wouldn’t agree, Zjarr and I had decided on taking turns holding up a barrier of light and dark to hide everyone. When Zjarr would do it, I would help digging as much as I could, and when I would keep up the barrier Zjarr would go hunt and drink before coming back and helping in any way she could.

It was like we had planned on digging holes so nobody brought a shovel. While the knights got everything organized, Zjarr and I flew around the closest villages and gathered as many shovels and other tools that might help. Dragon, were those farmers surprise to see their princess showing up on the back of a dragon asking for tools!

When I got back at camp and Zjarr dropped everything she had been holding, the knights had been impressed. This feeling was only multiplied when they saw what I added to the pile; Zjarr hadn’t been able to carry all the things we had gotten, I had taken quite a lot with me on her back.

“You would have never gotten anything without force if I hadn’t been here.” I said as I jumped of Zjarr. “And don’t you forget it.” It was directed directly at General Black since he had been the one who was ignoring my idea the most. A little further away, I had seen Daniel smiling and I only smiled back at him.

Once the knights had recovered from the shock they had started giving tools around and everybody got to work as soon as Zjarr and I gave them a thumps-up about the dark and light barrier. If one of the guards of the other army looked over to the river they would just see the empty lands and hills behind which our camp was hidden.

Everybody started digging and it only took Zjarr a few minutes to get the barrier holding up without my help and she sent me off. There were a few shovels left because not everybody was digging at the same time so that the men could relief each other every few hours. Robin was doing something do it was easier for everyone to dig and not too far away from him Daniel was working as I had never seen him doing before. That’s where I went to work.