The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 5)

Lifting the hem of my dress so I wouldn’t trip over it, I ran towards Zjarr. When I passed next to me father he caught me arm and I came to an abrupt stop. The movement made Zjarr look with incomprehensible eyes; even I did not understand why he stopped me. After all I had said I was bonded with a dragon. I jerked at my arm, but my father didn’t let go; he didn’t even seem to notice.

Suddenly I left the ground and the walls tremble. Zjarr was growling. I turned to look at her and almost laughed as I saw her standing there; she stood like a cat who felt threatened. I felt my dad going rigid and he grip on my arm became tighter. Then Zjarr roared and I could sense everybody tensing, not daring to move.

Except Vadmin.

“Your Majesty, I think you should let go of the Princess, before this beautiful dragon attacks any of us.” He spoke in a calm voice filled with admiration as he talked about Zjarr.

My father looked at the Mage, then at Zjarr before he finally let go of me. I didn’t move for a second, just to be sure my father wouldn’t catch me again and then hurried to my dragon. I passed my arms around her, hugging her for a moment. I could feel her relax under my touch.

Now I understood her behavior. The growling and the roar, she just wanted to scare the King so he would let go of me.

Letting go off her head, I took a step back and looked at her eyes. They were happy. I smiled at her, but as soon as I saw her wounds again it disappeared.

“Zjarr, what happened? Where do these wounds come from?” I asked examining them. Luckily they weren’t deep.

“I went fishing. And well I fished something big but not as big as me; unfortunately his parents were bigger than me.” Zjarr said in a tone that made me smile. “Normally I would never attack something bigger than me but they attacked me!”

“And where is that fish now? Or both of them.” I asked suspicious.

“Probably somewhere far away by now, I let them go after I threw the big one out of the water. I went to get some smaller fish.”

I sighed at checked her long neck for any other wounds. There were some bite marks, and I was really surprised to find a tooth between two of the peaks of her neck. I asked Zjarr to lower her neck and as soon as she was resting her head on the ground, I grind the tooth with both hands and pulled it out. It had to be painful because Zjarr growled; this time is seemed to be a complaint.

I quickly stepped away and looked at the tooth in my hand. It was about the size of a dagger and it had to be at least as sharp. It was long and white except where it had been in Zjarr’s neck it was covered in blood.

Placing myself in front of her, I showed her the tooth. I tried to look at the least a little bit angry but I don’t know if I succeeded.

“Do you want to keep this as a souvenir?” I asked her sarcastically.

I didn’t know what I expected from her reaction but I certainly didn’t except this! She rolled her golden eyes at me. I felt my mouth dropping, making Zjarr laugh.