The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 35)

The air was filled with evil. It all came rushing over the lands at once, nothing seemed to stop it. The balance of nature had been upset in just a matter a seconds and not much could do that. A great deal of dark magic was needed either way. The Dwarfs of the Northern Islands know magic but not in an offensive way, and they had already been defeated five years back, they would need time to recover. The Pirates of Cave Bay didn’t use magic, whenever they invaded lands and not only ours; they used brute force and their knowledge of the sea.

This was different. It was nothing that hadn’t been left for a long time.

War was on its way, the wind, the clouds and the birds carried all the same message. They all moved from east to west, evil was coming from the east.

Even though all Mages got the message from their surrounding that something was wrong it took several weeks for the first signs of change. Here in Stora Rike, at the far north of the continent, the sea is getting dangerous. Fishermen have been trapped on the little islands shattered in front of the coast for almost a week. If the storm, the winds and the sea do not calm down I will have to use magic to get them back safely.

 I put the book down for a second and wrote down the name of the country. Stora Rike. It didn’t sound familiar but I guessed that it must have been one of the three kingdoms of old. This Mage probably lived in what is now Rubis but I would check the name nevertheless.

I have reports telling me that the mountains close at the south-west of Stora Rike had had snow for days without stopping, causing already two avalanches and several deaths. Keepers of mountain goats have not been out of their villages ever since the snow storm started.

If Stora Rike was the kingdom from which Tanah Bulan, Emeraude and Rubis came than those mountains must be the Salji Mountains. I suddenly felt glad that the Mage had bothered to situate the places he mentioned, it gave me a sense of understanding in this jumble of unknown history.

The north-east of Lvant Dawl, above the Elfique Forest, and of course the Elfique Forest itself, is being plague by cruel and violent sandstorms coming from the Desert. The middle of the continent, where Stora Rike, Lvant Dawl and Dél-Alföld all meet, is being drowned in the rain, rivers overflowing, villages washed away by the mud. On the contrary the south of Dél-Alföld is dry and haven’t see a drop of rain in over a week, the Lake, which is their main source of water, is drying up slowly, a foot every day, the rivers have become streams, streams do no longer exist.

Lvant Dawl was probably the union of Sable Sucré, Teixeira and Tubig Libis. Dél-Alföld must be the kingdom for by Delstaten Solen and Fructus Terre. Clearly the weather was crazy everywhere but there was no information about the Elfique Forest. I knew from some vague history lesson memories that the magical barrier separating them from the Desert hadn’t been created until seven hundred years ago, after the war. What had been the consequences of the weather changes on this place? It gave the impression to be untouchable when you walked around. But was that really it? Was this place really untouchable?

I passed a few passages about the cruel details of all those people dying of starvation, drowning, getting caught in an avalanche or in a sandstorm. The words I read on some of the lines made it seem horrible. In fact there was an entire page I didn’t read.

The dark storm clouds appeared on the horizon right before the dragon knights arrived. They all arrived; this was the first in the history of the dragon knight that they all left the Dragon Mountains. Even the dragons themselves left. No one leaves their home willingly unless there is something horrible wrong. The knights were welcomed in all the castles which had dragon knight quarters; from there they organized everything.