The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 40)

Panting, I dropped onto the ground holding onto my sword tightly as Oberon kept coming closer with his own sword in hand. We were still in the middle of a fight but I was exhausted. I knew I had to get up otherwise Oberon would disarm me in just a few seconds but I couldn’t seem to move my legs. So I let him come to me and try to think of a way to get myself out of this mess.

The fights had been come more intense and demanding ever since the Festival of Lights as if they wanted to make up for the lost time when Robin was away. And every time I collapsed they kept saying they were going easy on me still. But I simply didn’t have the same energy supply as elves seemed to have.

When Oberon was only a few steps away I pushed myself to my feet with one hand, my eyes never left him and only because I was prepared for some quick move on his behalf did I manage to block his sword. We had been hacking away at each other for over an hour since the last fight he had won. In fact he had been trying to cut me to pieces since a little after dawn. And I had had one break of barely five minutes.

He was pushing me to my limit and the more tired I became the more force he put into his strikes. But as promised he kept his speed in check. The only thing I could focus on was not letting him disarm me and putting the tip of his sword over my heart or at my throat. I couldn’t care enough to remember which of the blades was better for defending and which was better for attacking; I used whatever was easiest in the moment. Not that I did a lot of attacking as I was slowly getting back up against a wall.

Over the weeks of training Robin’s friends had gotten to know all my tricks and I had no idea how I was supposed to trick myself out of this. The problem was the Oberon kept the attacks coming so I had to defend myself, giving me no time to think of a proper escape. I stopped backing away when I felt an idea begin to from in my mind. I stood my ground and deflected all the attacks he threw my way, gaining a cut or two. If I wanted this to work I needed to do this while I could still lift my arm.

I deflected his blade once again and before either one of us had time to bring our swords back for an attack or a defense I kicked his chest. Not hard enough to make him fall but he did stumble back a few steps.

That was all I needed before I ran to the wall, using the speed to jump and the wall and get a good grip on the vegetation that grew between the bricks. My arms protested but I willed them to lift my weight higher up the wall.

“What are you doing?” I heard Oberon ask, completely surprised. “Get back down here and fight.”

“Provoking me won’t work.” I breathed out, not sure if he would hear me. My hands and feet worked on their own, climbing the wall as if it was nothing. Eventually my hands reached the top of the wall and I tried to pull myself up. My arms trembled and for a terrifying moment I thought I would lose my grip but my feet pushed me up jus the little bit that I needed.

I sat at the top of the wall and breathed in and out deeply before I got up and balanced myself on top of the wall and made my sword reappear in my hand. Looking down at Oberon I realized just how high up I was. They all looked a bit smaller.

Without giving it a second thought I moved and went to where the roots were thickest. Since Oberon didn’t make a move to come up the wall I let myself sink down onto the roots and I tried to catch my breath.

“What are you doing? We’re in the middle of a fight and you decide to take a break?!” He sounded like it was the craziest thing ever.

“I am not taking a break.” I said calmly refusing to yell. “I am still in a fight but only waiting for my opponent to get to me because I am not stupid enough to go to him.” I could just make out the amused faces down below. Oberon wasn’t taking it the bad way and instead put his sword in his belt and walked over to the wall.