Chapter 1

Kate's P.O.V

I needed to think clearly and not let the news of my mom getting shot totally befuddle my mind. A few minutes earlier a nurse had rushed into the hospital room in Salt Lake City, Utah. She'd told me that my mom, who had just barely started talking to me, had been shot. The nurse had said that it was one in the leg and once close to the heart.

"No my mom can't die," I whispered. Of course Christian was worried so he would have been listening to me.

"Kate, did you hear what the nurse said before she left the room?" His question confused me, so I shook my head. "They're doing surgery on your mom. After that they'll see what happens," Christian told me. That's when it hit me. Nobody had told me who exactly was responsible for shooting my mom. All that I had been told was that she had been shot.

"Who shot her? I want to a police officer in here now, please. I need to know what exactly happened to her." But even as I asked the first question that I had phrased, I knew who had shot her and why. What had happened was that to the sick man who hadn't let my mom have a real relationship with me?

"I'll go talk to the nurse," Christian's mom said while standing up to leave the room. That's when I broke down in tears.

Christian's P.O.V.

I felt so helpless. Kate was so broken-hearted and sad, and that made it hard for me to comfort her. The truth was that I didn't really know how to comfort people in these types of situations.

"Just hold me," Kate whispered. I looked down at her confused by what she had said. When she saw the confused look on my face she said, "All you need to do is hold me. Christian, don't think that I don't see the helplessness written all over your face. Your arms can comfort me more than anything else right now."

"How did you know that I wasn't sure how to comfort you," I asked.

"Christian, you're easier to read than you think you are," Kate answered.

"Really," I asked.

"Yes really," she replied.

"Kate," I said.

"What is it," she asked.

"Can you tell me something?"

"Sure, anything," she replied.

"How do you feel at exactly this minute," I asked her.

"Well, I guess that you could know the answer just by looking at me. I feel terrible; it's not just the fact that my mom could be taking her last breath any minute now. I also feel sick to my stomach that somebody could do something so horrible."

"I know," I said. "By the way, what's your mom's name?"

"Miranda Willis," Kate answered.

"Oh," I replied stupidly.

"Why do you ask," she asked me.

"Just wondering," I told her. I did what she had told me to do. I gently wrapped her in my arms and I simply held her.

Miranda's P.O.V.

I felt nothing, nothing at all.

"Am I dead," I called out softly. I was in the middle of what looked like a hay field. All of a sudden an angel type thing appeared.

"Miranda Willis, you will only be dead if that is what you want," the angel said.

"I don't want that, what I want to do is go back to my daughter, Kate Burling," I told the angel strongly.