Chapter 9

Kate

I woke up the next morning to the sound of the bedroom door closing. I looked up to see Christian standing by the door. 

“Good morning, sleeping beauty,” he smiled at me. He walked over to where I was lying, and then he leaned over and kissed my forehead. 

“Morning,” I said groggily. 

“Did you sleep good,” he asked me. 

“Yeah,” I told him. 

“Are you ready to go home?”

“Yeah,” I answered. “Although, has Dr. Grey called to confirm that my mom’s being released from the hospital today?”

“Yeah, he called about an hour ago when you were still sleeping. He said that we can go pick your mom up in a few hours and to talk about what we’ll have to do for the next few weeks once you get her home.” 

“Okay, I’m going to take a shower and get ready for the day,” I told him. “Quick question, though, how are we getting back to Mt. Pleasant,” I asked. 

“My aunt and uncle are going to take us back,” he answered. 

“Okay, I’ll be back in a few minutes,” I replied. 

Christian

I wanted to do something special for Kate, but I didn’t know exactly what there was I could do. 

“Aunt Caren,” I called. 

“I’m in the kitchen,” my aunt Caren called back to me. I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. 

“Aunt Caren, can you help me out with something,” I asked her. 

“Sure,” she smiled at me. “What do you need help with?”

“Well, I want to do something special for Kate before we leave, but I don’t know what I want to do exactly.” 

“I don’t think that I can really help you,” she said. “I mean, I don’t really know what she likes or what you qualify as “special”.” 

Kate

I was so ready to go home and be done with hospitals for a very long time. 

“Hey,” Christian said as he walked into the room. 

“Hi,” I replied. He walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. 

“What you doing,” he asked curiously. 

“Just thinking,” I answered. 

“About what,” he asked. 

“How I am so ready to be home and away from hospitals for a while. What are you doing?”

“Well, I was thinking that if you want to we could stay here for one more night,” he said. 

“Why,” I asked suspiciously. What was he up to? 

“I’m going to take you out for a little relaxation time before you have to start doing all of your schooling,” he informed me with a smile.