Chapter 10

Kate

It took almost two hours to find the “perfect outfit” for me to wear on my date tonight. I was exhausted considering I was not used to shopping for that long for things for myself. I had to admit that it felt good, especially with my mom by my side shopping with me. 

“Hey, you okay,” my mom asked me. 

“Never better,” I assured her. 

“Oh, really,” she asked. 

“Yes, why do you ask?”

“You seem nervous,” she told me. 

“It’s probably the fact that I don’t like shopping,” I said. 

“Or it could be the fact that you’re still waiting for Christian to walk out of your life like Ronnie did,” my mom pointed out. 

“Something along those lines,” I admitted. There was no reason as to why I should lie to my mom. 

“Do you want to talk?” Her question caught me off guard. Did I want to talk to my mom? It seemed like there was too much to say, but yet not enough words. 

“Maybe a little bit of talking won’t hurt,” I said. I wasn’t too sure what I said made sense, but I didn’t really care. “Mom, whatever I say don’t blame yourself, okay?” She nodded her head and then I continued. “It’s just, how can I trust anyone after what I had to live through while I was growing up? I often ask myself if I’ll ever be able to love and be loved by someone.”

“What about Christian,” she asked me confusedly. 

“Don’t get me wrong, I think I love him. How can I know for sure, though? Love has always been something that has hurt me in the past, and now all I can think is that it’s going to hurt me again. Why should I trust even just the idea of love anymore? I look at how Christian treats me like a freaking queen, and it makes me feel bad. Mom, I don’t deserve Christian, and when I look at how much he adores me it makes me feel horrible because I know I don’t deserve any of it. Most guys would probably have left me by now, but Christian took my past and accepted me without a second thought. Whenever I bring up the fact that I’m still waiting for him to leave, he shows me how much he loves me. I know that I’m not saying anything that makes sense and I’m sorry for that. I guess that I just said all of that just to make myself feel better.”

“Wow, Kate,” my mom was obviously at a lost for words. 

“I’m sorry I made you listen to that,” I said quietly. 

“I’m your mother, I’m supposed to listen to you,” my mom pointed out. 

“Thanks,” I said with a small smile. Just then Aunt Caren walked towards us. 

“I hate to interrupt, but we should probably be heading back to the house,” she told me and my mom. 

“Of course,” my mom said. So we walked outside, got into the car, and left the mall to go back to Aunt Caren’s house. 

Christian

It had been more than three hours since Kate, Kate’s mom, and my Aunt Caren had left to go shopping when they finally came back.