Chapter 17-Aboard The Crewcab

'And I swear at that time... We were infinite-' The Perks Of Being A Wallflower x

💛Lauren P.O.V💛

I grab my backpack, after throwing a few sweatshirts in it. I run my fingers through my long hair, checking the contents thoroughly. I also packed 5 avocado sandwiches, and 2 small containers of baked sweet potato fries.... Just for those hungry moments where the others will be eating roasted dead animal.

I skip down the stairs slinging the backpack on my shoulders. I adjust my white shorts and pull down my beige tank top. Dad waits for me down the stairs, as he is checking the tent he packed in his huge hiking backpack. It's been now 4 days since mum left... She never called. I tried ringing her once but she closed the phone before I could even speak. Deep down I understand her... But not a word? It hurts to think that my own mother wouldn't speak to me, as if my presence to her is poisonous.

Dad seems calmer too. Always casted in deep thought. After a long time he started acting really sweetly, always listening to is. His eyes sadden me. I can see my moms absence from them... Even though they fought and argued he still loved her... He will always love her.

He turns to me and smiles cheekily.

'Are you ready?' He perks.

'All packed... I even made cruelty free sammiches,' I smile.

'More meat for us,' he laughs, hugging me.

'I could get used to this,' I whisper in his embrace,' I missed this...'

'I missed you too Lauren,' he gazes deep into my eyes with a fatherly glow,' let's start again... Forget everything that happened before,' he smiles,' I want my happy girl back.'

'I'm almost back,' I smile.
***
I sit in the front seat...

'Dad do we have to go with the crewcab?' I squint my eyes wickedly at him.

'It adds to the atmosphere,' he smirks.

I look around... Only two front seats and and a huge platform behind us, where all our stuff are huddled on.

'So is Mr Howard's son actually coming with us?' I ask nervously. I bite my lip in anticipation... It would be rather... Awkward. I sit and relax on the seat laying my head back softly. I gaze at the outside as we drive through. All the tall buildings flame as we pass, the large ball of dashing sun inflaming my eyesight as it hugs the edges of the bulidings.

It's still dawn and the soft Violet is thriving the sky. Shadows pass over us as the concrete city... The harshness of the city fades out of reach as we drive into the clear expanse, green valleys all around, relaxing my eye. The car hits a few bumps, rattling me... I look at the road that expands before us... A never ending line that goes on and on.

Slowly I fade out of reality, thinking about everything meddling in my head. Sometimes I wonder how I still keep on going... But it's all just a blur... The rape, my mom, Mike... Even Nathaniel seems surrealistic. As if my story is cast away in stars.... I can remember everything... But it all seems like a dream, some beautiful and mythic others a pure nightmare.

'We're here,' he says. I look out and gaze at the familiar house of Nathaniel,' we're pitching them a ride,' he smiles. I smile back nervously. A thought emerges in my head.

'Where will they sit?' I ask.

'Well Malcolm here in the front,' he pats the seat... He twists around and points at the platform behind,' and you and his son behind,'

'Behind?' I crack a sly smile slowly to hide my nervousness.

'Don't get any ideas,' he says, I bulge my eyes.