Chapter 18-Beauty and the Beast

'All the promises we made... From the cradle to the grave,' - U2 x

A/N: back to the long chapters....

💛Lauren P.O.V💛

I step on the branches landing on the ground. They rattle below my shoes, filling the sky with echoing crunches. I raise my gaze and look at the huge trees that filter the light... The sun cascaded like golden fireflies on the dense forest slope paints it in abstract dark shadows. The trees stumps resemble menacing snakes curling with wicked branches on the bottom but full leaves littering the top branches obscuring the view to the noon sky.

Beside me strides Nathaniel that marvels in the beauty around us too. Dad and Malcolm skip behind us letting out the occasional oohs and ahhs.

I find Natha just looking around like a mad man... Strangely it makes me happy that he loves nature. Just one aspect that I adore in guys... Especially this guy... Um God... I mean guy. We lock eyes for a moment and I see the wonder in them... He smiles with his eyes and it's like an invisible conversation passes between us.

As we walk the ground expands, the trees thinning just a bit. A large circle opens before us and their is a large blank void above as the sky is visible around a ring of green leaves. Just beautiful. I half expect Lyra music to start playing and unicorns to fly out of the trees... Wild imagination

Dad sets everything on the ground and they start setting up the tents. I offer to help but Nathaniel persuaded me with his strong eyes to sit down and enjoy the fresh air. I sit cross legged on the ground just watching them. I focus on him setting everything up. His black top clings on his body outlining his every muscle. He gives me grins every now and then, and I smile back. I search my backpack and take out my journal... I start writing my entry.
***
10/06/15

Dear Diary:
Just one week before school ends I'm stuck... I can't even focus on studying shit. And even now with Natha there like right in front of me, I can't even focus on writing... I mean look at this shit entry...

Bloody hell... His eyes linger every time he meets my gaze... They shine with a grey dominance, I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare me, but in a good way. Ugh I can't place the feeling I get when I look at him... I never felt it before.

At least now here in nature I can focus on everything around me... Close my eyes and listen to the chirps of the birds and feel the cool touch of the grass blades of the open world. I bet Katy wants all the gossip... Hahaha good old Katy... And Aiden... Ah I have to talk to him. I don't want 19 years of my life with him to be thrown in the dump.

I can't wait to find small streams and clear ponds... In fact I'm going to go right now.

Till next time...
***

Writing journal entries has been my road to recovery from self-harm (well almost) and depression. And I have been writing every single day since I was 16...

I close my journal excitedly and get up to my feet... Without even noticing the day has passed by with a blink of an eye... The sky above has turned a shade of light Crimson red coalesced with a soft Violet... The sun is cascaded inside the closed circle of trees from the side. I look at the light of it burn bright red through the gaps of leaves. I jump up and I remove my shoes letting my feet touch the dirt below... The dirt only expands for a few meters before turning into green grass.

'I'm going exploring,' I beam, jumping up and down. I grab my hair and place it in a ponytail. Excitement grows in my veins as the nostalgic feeling of hiking when I was young slams me like a giant wave.