Chapter 22

Chapter 22 [edited]

              I could tell Cole was nervous as he stood in front of the white door; his hands were trembling slightly as he held it up to ring the doorbell but then stopped and put his hand down. We were currently on the porch of a quaint little house, the fence around the house was worn down but the cut grass and flowers at the front gave it a nice touch, some of the red paint on the house was slightly cracked and the porch steps slightly creaked when we stepped on them but other than that it was a cute place with a nice homely aura.

             I looked up at Cole and took his hand into mine, he looked down at me and I gave him a small smile encouraging him. He then smiled back and rang the doorbell. No going back now unless we just run away and let her think that it was just some pesky kids knocking on her door.

             At first when Cole told me we were going home I had assumed that he was going to take me home but he wasn't, he was taking himself home. Home to his Mum, where he grew up, the place which he had to leave unconditionally.

              We heard footsteps approach the door and I heard Cole take in a breath and as the door slowly opened, he let it out. A petite brunette women stood there, she wore normal mum jeans, a sweater and an apron on top, her eyes were wide and brown, her curly hair was tied in a bun and she smiled at us. She then looked at Cole quickly and then looked at me, "Hi, can I help you?" She asked in a soft voice.

             "Hi," I greeted her, "Um--" I looked over at Cole, he wasn't saying anything he just stared at his Mum and his Mum frowned at him but then her eyes widened and a gasp left her mouth.

"C- Cole?"

              I squeezed his hand, "Hi Mum," He greeted her, his voice slightly shaky. Cole looked vulnerable and lost, almost like a puppy. Look at me comparing Cole Kennedy to a puppy. I think life on the road has messed with my sanity.

               "My baby," She wrapped her arm around his waist and gave him a hug, I let go of Cole's hand and he hugged her back, they held each other like this for a while and I smiled at them. I felt like I was intruding on their personal space. She then pulled away and held Cole's face in her small hands, "look at you, you've grown," a tear fell from her eyes, "where have you been?! Do you know how worried I have been!"

"I know . I- I'm sorry Mum. I'll explain everything."

            She then told us to go into the house and made us sit on the couch in the living room as she got us some snacks and drinks despite our polite protests. "Your Mum seems nice, you look a bit like her" I told him.

              Cole smiled weakly, "thank you... for encouraging me to do this it feels good to be here, at home," I smiled at him and his Mum came into the living room with a plate of muffins and cookies, she also placed a tea down for me and a coffee down for Cole.  

She sat across the sofa and smiled at me, "Sorry honey, I didn't catch your name," She told me.

"Oh, it's Melissa," I answered, "It's nice to finally meet you," I smiled at her and she returned my smile.

              "I'm Carol, you're very pretty. I must say my son did a good job. So when can I expect grand kids?" My eyes widened, I blushed and Cole chocked on his coffee slightly.

"Mum," Cole scolded

              She then laughed, "I'm only joking, I'm guessing we're not comfortable with the family stuff yet," I looked away a blush still on my face. I thought about how it was nice that this felt quite homely despite the given circumstances. Her laugh soon died down, she sighed and looked at Cole ,"where have you been? You just- you left me. You left without saying goodbye."

"I know Mum and I'm so sorry but I just. I couldn't be a burden to you--"

              "A burden? Son I never knew you were this stupid," I held in my laughter given the situation "How could you possibly think you'd be a burden to me?!"

               Cole looked at the floor, "I- I killed him. I couldn't face you after that. I was- I was a coward and a killer and so I ran."

             "You're not a killer you were protecting yourself and me. You weren't a coward I was! I should have kicked him out and left him when I had the chance but I was too scared. It's my fault."

              "Don't say that Mum! It's not your fault. It's all his." I could sense that Cole was going to get angry by his jaw clenching and his fingers clenching. I shuffled closer to him and held his hand in mine. He looked at my hand in his then at me, his gaze softened and his jaw unclenched. We turned our heads to see Cole's mum smiling at us.

"I want to know everything, Cole."

Cole nodded slowly and then began, "Well after I ran away..."

                                                                                            * * *

             After Cole had told her everything a few tears were shed and then Cole's Mum insisted that we stay the night. I was currently sat in the guest bedroom as Cole went to the car to get our clothes bag. I looked out of the window into the garden but it was quite dark so I couldn't see much. Carol was currently downstairs cooking or watching something. I heard footsteps coming upstairs and then the guest room bedroom door opened and Cole stood there with the bag.

"Clothes for the lady?" Cole asked and I smiled.

"Yes," I answered with a chuckle.

"I said lady not you,"

             I narrowed my eyes at him, "shut up." I snatched the bag off of him and put it down while he laughed, I then approached him and sighed, "I'm so glad you came here."

He shrugged, "It felt like the right thing to do."

            "It was the right thing to do," I then held his face in my hands. "I don't think you're a coward at all, all the things you've been through and you're still so strong. If it was anyone else they would have given up but you didn't." I then tip toed and placed a small soft kiss on his lips, he seemed slightly surprised as I pulled away.

            He grabbed my waist and pulled me close, his lips then met mine in a soft kiss and as our lips continued to move in sync the kiss became more passionate. I found myself being pushed on to the bed, his hand left my body supporting his weight and then he started kissing my neck making soft moans leave my mouth, his hand trailed up my leg as my hands latched on to his brown hair.

           "Cole I--" A voice said as the door opened then me and Cole immediately pulled away and I sat up looking towards the door as Cole's Mum stood there with an amused smile. I looked away blushing "Sorry I should have knocked," I could tell she was trying to control her laughter, "I expect grandchildren soon," I blushed hard.

Cole groaned, "mum!"

Comment and vote :)