Chapter 27

Chapter 27 [edited]

           "Melissa..." I felt something poke me and groaned, "Wake up feisty!" I felt someone poking me again but swatted their hand away.

"Go away," I groaned and then there was silence for a minute.

"Is that Leonardo DiCaprio?"

I jumped with my eyes open, "What? Where?"  Cole laughed and I shoved him playfully, "Jerk."

             He laughed, "it was the only way to wake you up," then there was a silence as he looked at me and suddenly I felt self- conscious "Anyway, we're here."

               I looked around to see we were the only ones in the coach, we were parked somewhere in a hotel car park and it seemed like the sun would set in an another hour or so, "a hotel?"

"Yeah this is where the coach terminates,"

"Oh, where's your safe house?"

              "Just a couple of minutes away from here..." he scratched the back of his neck and looked quite nervous, "there are other coaches here that go to California, you can stay here and wait for one. I can give you the money."

             I thought about it for minute and then shook my head, "No I want to go with you" he looked at me for a minute and then I realised what it sounded like, "I mean to your safe house"

"But--"

            "I'll call my Uncle from someone's phone and tell him I ran away from you and ditched you, he'll come pick me up."

             "If you're sure?" I nodded, I knew I was stalling my goodbye to Cole but I couldn't help the words that left my mouth and my feelings. He smiled at me and we left the coach. I followed Cole as we walked to his safe house keeping ourselves slightly hidden.

            I walked past people going to work, school and just getting on with their normal lives. I then thought back to mine, my normal- yet in a way messed up- life that I will return to soon. But I didn't want to live my dull life any more, how was I meant to resume my life after everything? I can act like nothing happened and go back to shopping and going to school with Olivia and going back to my so called house to Uncle Kevin and Claire but I can't forget what happened here. Despite it being a short amount of time I had become attached and sort of dependent on Cole to turn up when things go wrong.

               Cole had been there for me when I got into trouble. I mean he is kind of the cause for me landing into trouble with a gang I didn't know of but he was there to help me. I can't just forget the time he saved me from the car when we had our first high way incident with the police, when Nate's brother tried to-- force me to have sex with him, when the weird motel guy tried to sedate me and send me off to The Scorpions, in the diner when we got into the gun fight with some Scorpion members and just recently when we were in South Dakota. I can't just forget that but I need to take a moment here to say wow that is a lot of time I have gotten into a situation where Cole had to rescue me.

             I also can't forget the kiss, our first kiss, how can I forget that? How can I forget the time when he told me about his past and me meeting his Mum. I can't forget when he comforted me during that night of the Party at Nate's house and how he trusted me to help him.

How can I just leave that?

               But it's not like I have much of a choice. I can't just tell Cole that I want to be with him because it might freak him out. I don't even know if he feels this attached to me as I do to him. Besides I can't be with him, he's going to be on the run frequently and how can we have a good future together if we were to be constantly running?