Chapter 29: Part 3

Not edited. Get some tissues. I am so sorry.

Lullaby: Daughter of the Moon by Adrianna

************

I woke up to sunlight on my eyelids. I squinted from the light, a small noise coming from deep in my throat. I yawned, sitting up, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand. Jessie wasn't next to me, and I knew this because I had been sprawled out onto the bed, taking up all the space. I peaked over the edge of the mattress, not seeing him on the floor. Hmm, where could he be?

The door to the room opened; I turned my head to see Jessie come in with two cup of something steaming. I sat up more, the blanket falling off my shoulder.

"Oh, so sleeping beauty finally awoke?" He teased, coming over to sit on the edge of the bed. He handed me one of the mugs, telling me to blow on it.

"Its quite hot. I didn't know if you wanted marshmallows, so I just brought the bag," he said, pulling out a bag from his sweatpants pocket. Wow, didn't see that coming. I looked down at the brown liquid.

"Hot chocolate?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him. He shrugged.

"We were out of coffee," he said, his mouth muffled by his mug as he avoided my eyes. I smiled a little, thankful for the gesture.

"Thank you," I said softly, blowing on the surface. He held the bag out to me, motioning for me to take some. I bit my lip and put my hand in the bag, grabbing a couple marshmallows and dropping them in my drink.

A comfortable silence fell around us as we blew on our hot chocolate, making me yawn. Jessie smiled at the small little sound I made, making me blush. Looking down at my liquid, I decided to take a sip. Bad idea, because it was still hot as Hades. I made a noise as I burned my bottom lip- don't ask how- pulling it into my mouth. Jessie looked up at me, his eyebrows raised as a smile slowly grew in his face.

"I told you it was hot, kitten. Do you not listen?" He asked, shaking his head. I glared at him, my mug settling onto my knee by my hands.

"Now my lip hurts," I grumbled, touching it lightly with my left pointer finger. Jessie watched me, his jaw doing that twitch thing. He gave me a look.

"What?" I asked. He didn't say anything, but he lightly grabbed my left wrist and pulled it away from my mouth. I watched his movements then looked up to see him lean in and land a kiss right on my lips. My eyes widened as he did it, his teeth grazing my bottom lip before he pulled it into his mouth. I made a small noise after closing my eyes, feeling him pull away. My face was heated as I dropped my head, hair draping over my eyes. I heard a chuckle, which made my neck burn.

"Better?" He asked, only to get a small nod. I pulled my bottom lip into my own mouth, trying not to squeak a little. He tasted like hot chocolate, dear gods.

We sat in silence for a few seconds, grateful for the time to calm down. I then thought of Holly.

"Jessie..." I called out, looking upward. His face lifted from his cup, his eyes a bit out of it before he focused on me. He hummed. "Are we going... Are we going to see Holly?" I asked, watching as his face visibly paled and he looked away from me. He was silent.

Then, "I don't know." He ran his thumb along the rim of his mug, eyes trained in thought. I bit my cheek, looking down at mine.

"Wh... Why not?" I asked, not looking up. Quiet.

"I don't think... I don't think I want to," he breathed quickly. My head snapped up to see his turned slightly away from me, as if ashamed of his answer.