ONE| who we are

^^ That smirk does something to me, I stg.

Chapter titles that are named after songs are just because I couldn't think of a witty/funny name for them, I won't lie.
Besides, the song is usually adorable for the chapter even if it had jack squat to do with the content.

Chapter song: Who we are- Imagine Dragons

Okay, I'm sure you guys know this, but do avoid obvious confusion, the paragraphs in italic are flashbacks.

Bold= Swedish!

O N E | WHO WE ARE

Ren had lost count of the days long ago.

Time was of no importance to him anymore, every day was the same. He had the same goal no matter what day of the week it was; survival.

On the Ark he was just the smart mouthed tech guy who hated his job almost as much as he hated authority. He actively ignored most of the people except his girlfriend.

And now, she was dead and he was no longer just that 'smart mouthed tech guy.' He was the sole survivor of the Tesla Station. A fighter.

A loner.

Well, that was until he heard what sounded like violent coughing.

His jaw fell slack and his eyes widened as his hands tightened around the pole that had gotten him this far. His knuckles whitened from the pressure and his breathing lapsed. That was the first close-to-human noise he had heard in... Weeks. He crouched behind a bush and licked his lips with apprehension. Part of him thought this was too good to be true, that what he was hearing was just another auditory hallucination.

But then it came again.

And when he heard the next round of heavy coughing, he saw someone slam their shoulder against a tree, unable to support their own weight. Even in the dim dusk light, he could make out her sickly pale skin, the dark red rims around her tired, puffy eyes. She looked almost dead.

Scratch that, she looked barely alive.

Her fingernails dug into the bark of the tree as she tried to steady herself for another belt of brutal coughing. Eventually her legs buckled under the weight of her body and she fell on her knees, her green eyes were glassy and unfocused.

Ren was too stunned to move. It was the first person he had seen since... Well, a long time. And she needed his help.

Even though she looked beyond weak, he didn't loosen his grip on the pole as he made his way towards her. The closer he got, the worse she looked. Sweat covered every visible part of her skin, her lips were cracked she was covered in scratches and bruises. He presumed he faired no better, but at least he wasn't one breath away from death.

Unbeknownst that there was someone near her, she fell back into the tree and groaned weakly, parts of her blonde hair which was loose from it's pony tail stuck to her face. With all the energy she had, she looked up and immediately caught sight of the guy who was staring down at her curiously.

Her breath caught in her throat, but any other expression was too much for her to fathom. She could already feel herself losing consciousness to the fever, but she swallowed thickly and maintained eye contact for as long as she could.

He wanted to ask her a million questions, but she was too sick to even sit up without assistance, and then, surprising him completely, she whispered something that was so quiet, so vulnerable that if a bird decided to tweet at that moment, he would have missed it.