TWENTY | restart the game

no, but for real, i'm getting good at this updating thing amirite

i have unrelated news at the bottom if you're interested, which you should bc y'know i'm great (lmao no i'm not)

also, while the song has no relevance to this chapter, the title is actually my favourite song called RIVA (restart the game) by Klingande, it's amazing and it gives me shivers when you listen to the lyrics (admittedly, I had to google the lyrics the first time because I couldn't quite understand him (even though the song is in english lmao) but fr it's great, 12.5/10 would recommend)

bold=Swedish, as always

T W E N T Y | RESTART THE GAME

Everything was a mess.

The sad thing was, Carter was beginning to get used to the feeling of success slipping through her fingers, like fine grains of sand. Her father was in lockup, soon to be executed for trying to overthrow Pike. When Bellamy rallied the news to her, she honestly wasn't surprised. Her mouth was clamped into a thin line, eyes tired. She had asked Monty if they could go for a walk so she could stretch her legs, that was when they met Bellamy through one of the many halls, his expression unreadable.

Just as the silence was becoming overwhelming, Monty looked up at Bellamy, "What about Miller and Harper?" His tone hesitant. Before Bellamy had a chance to respond, the automatic door opened to reveal Monty's mom, a bright smile on her face as she stopped in front of the trio.

"Nicely done today, I'm proud of you," The warmth in her gaze didn't waver as she turned to look at Carter. "And you, I know it must be hard, but you're choosing the right side, you're choosing survival."

Carter met her gaze with a blank expression, eyes dull. She didn't make a move to answer Hannah or even return her smile. Why would she? Monty's mom seemed perfectly fine with the kill order that was placed on Kane.

Wanting to dissolve the awkward tension, Monty replied, though his expression not quite matching his mother's, "Thanks, Mom."

Carter's eyes trailed back down to her boots as Hannah continued, "Were you able to identify anyone Kane was working with?" The engineer tensed, ready for both Monty and Bellamy to turn in Harper and Miller, ready for them to be executed alongside Kane for doing the right thing.

"No," Bellamy answered and Carter looked up at him. At first, she thought she misheard him, but then Monty shook his head as well.

Hannah didn't seem fully convinced, "Let's hope today's actions make it clear to the people of Arkadia which side they should be on," She eyed the three of them cautiously, almost in warning. "It's not really that hard choosing what's best for your people, is it?"

"No," Bellamy's voice was quiet at first, but then gained strength with his next words, "I do it every day." Hannah eyed them for a moment, Bellamy's gaze was hardened as he kept it. With a small nod, Hannah dismissed herself wordlessly and continued her path down the hall as Monty and Bellamy shared complexed looks.

What did that mean? Was Bellamy finally realizing how wrong Pike was with his decisions? While Carter let the glimmer of hope turn into a spark, she couldn't help but feel disheartened that it took her father's pending execution to shake Bellamy out of whatever trance Pike had him in.

"I, uh..." She stammered, a deep frown etching into her features, she didn't look at either of them, her eyes glazed over. "I think I'm going to go to bed. It's been a long day."

"I'll walk you," Bellamy offered though Carter shook her head.

"I've got nothing left to fight for Bell, I don't need to be escorted." She mumbled, taking a few steps back. "I just want to be alone."