ELEVEN | who gave Pike permission to speak?

I'm a great contribution to society.

BOLD= SWEDISH (I actually haven't written it in capitals yet.)

ELEVEN | WHO GAVE PIKE PERMISSION TO SPEAK?

"Is he okay?" 

"What part of me looks like a doctor, Ren?" Carter quirked her eyebrow in annoyance as she knelt down beside her father. He was still breathing, which to her was a good sign. Tapping him not-so-lightly on the forehead caused him to exhale a disgruntled groan and the engineer breathed a sigh of relief before looking at her boyfriend with somewhat of a flat look. "Why could you never have this sort of reaction when you saw me?"

"Uh..." Bellamy stammered over his words, struggling to process the scene in front of him, much less come up with a coherent response for Carter. "I... should probably go get a doctor."

"No it's fine," Kane strained as he lifted his head up slowly, with the support of his daughter, though his eyes were still closed. "Is she actually there?" He asked and Carter paused, momentarily shocked by his question.

"Yes dad, I'm actually here. Open your eyes." She instructed softly, and Kane did as she asked. His jaw fell slack for a few seconds before up turning into a smile, then a laugh, and then he brought her into a tight hug, mindful of her broken arm. "You should also probably not speak about me like I'm not here."

"You're probably sick of hearing this, but I really thought you were gone," Kane whispered, the tears were already flooding the corners of his eyes, though his voice remained strong. "You have seriously got to stop doing this, you're going to send me into an early grave."

"This may come as a surprise to you," Carter began, sitting back a little. "But I'm not doing this on purpose. The universe just strongly dislikes me."

"A big part of me wants to ground you right now," Kane pursed his lips, giving his daughter a stern glare, though he rolled his eyes and began to get to his feet. "Though it wasn't really effective on the Ark, I doubt earth has made you more obedient." Carter grinned knowingly, and Kane couldn't help but sigh in amusement. His daughter was all he had left and everything screamed at him to wrap her up and stash her into a cupboard somewhere until it was all over, so he knew she was safe... but he wasn't stupid. From a young age, Carter refused to sit back and let other people do all the work, she hadn't lost that trait going into adulthood. It wasn't in her nature to be protected, and it wasn't in his nature to deprive her of what she was made to do. He had done that for too long.

"Well, this is isn't awkward at all." Ren rocked on his heels with his hands clasped behind his back as he looked around the hall for something to put his attention to.

"How come you two made it out? I...I thought..." Even the words struggled to come out from Bellamy's mouth as he glanced between Ren and Carter. The former of the two recoiled from the attention slightly. 

"It was all Ren, he pulled me out of the building before it exploded," Carter explained. "He pulled me from the wreckage, if it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't be standing here right now." She sent her friend a grateful smile, who in return gave her an awkward grimace.

Kane grabbed Ren's hand without warning, causing the man's eyes to widen at the sudden touch. "Thank you so much, Ren, I truly mean it. I couldn't lose her, not again." 

Carter smiled at the awkward exchange between Ren and her father, though it didn't go amiss how Bellamy's face had fallen as he kept his gaze on the floor with a frown. She weaved her eyebrows together at the pained expression on his face and weaved her hand in his, giving him a reassuring tug. He looked up and blinked oddly at her, almost like he wasn't expecting such a gesture. She gave him a small grin and leaned up to kiss him on the cheek. He smiled, though it didn't quite reach his eyes and that left Carter feeling somewhat disheartened.