TEN | behind the lies

Two chapters in two days?? Whaaaaaaaaaat, I'm amazing #useless

Bold= Swedish :)

T E N | behind the lies

He felt hollow inside. All he wanted to do was protect people, that was it, and he couldn't even do that. When he heard that Mount Weather had exploded, all he could think about was even more deaths that sat on his shoulders. He left so many people behind, thinking that he was protecting them, when really they were just waiting for their deaths. 

Including his girlfriend. He couldn't protect her when she needed him the most, what was he supposed to do? And that was why he had decided to lay his jacket down. He didn't want to be a guard anymore. He didn't want to be responsible for even more deaths.

"Don't do this." Kane whispered, eyeing Bellamy with nothing but sympathy. 

"Forty-nine people I had sworn to protect died yesterday, because of me." Bellamy explained, keeping his head down. "Because I left. Your daughter is among that."

"That's not your fault, Bellamy," Kane sighed. "Place the blame where it belongs, on the Ice Nation."

"The Ice Nation didn't tell Carter to stay there, that was me." 

Kane pursed his lips and placed a hand on Bellamy's shoulder. "Given the information you had at the time, you made a reasonable decision, Bellamy. You were trying to save lives. Are you forgetting all the times you saved my daughter? The times you protected her? You had their best intentions at heart."

Though he never would admit it, Kane could see the tears gathering in Bellamy's eyes. "And I failed them. I failed her."

_________

"Carter. Carter, wake up." The voice sounded distant, but the jostling of her shoulder didn't and in spite of the pain that seemed to riddle her body, Carter forced her eyes open. The light blinded her momentarily, but after a few seconds, they adjusted and she was greeted by Ren's face hovering a few feet over her own. "Good, you're awake."

With a groan, she sat upright and glanced around, disorientated. She remembered what happened, the blast, the codes, the man, but she had no recollection of how she ended up in the middle of the woods. 

"Where are we?" Her voice was hoarse and croaky, like she hadn't used it in a while, but she paid it no mind.

"Uh..." Ren wrinkled his nose and placed his hands on his hips, glancing around the small clearing they were both in. "I'd say about halfway to Arkadia. We'd be there by now if you weren't out cold for most of the journey."

"Where's Raven and Sinclair?" She asked, growing more aware of everything around her. There was a small firepit next to her, smoke swirled in the air from where it wasn't long put out. She watched intricately as Ren's face fell from his usual cocky exterior, into one that was a little colder, more emotionless. 

"I couldn't find them, there was too much rubble. I'm sure they're okay though." Ren shrugged, not making eye contact as he hoisted his pack up onto his shoulders. "Well, now you're awake, we should probably get moving."

"You left them behind?!" Carter bellowed, ignoring the throbbing sensation that scoured across her head. And then something clicked. "You lied to me."

"What?" Ren frowned.

"You lied to me, you son of a bitch." Carter glared at him, now sitting upright, using her arm for support whilst cradling the other one to her abdomen. It hurt more than she remembered it hurting and her cast was coated in soot from the blast, bruising surrounded it. "You told me Gina was fine, something was clearly wrong if she couldn't answer the radio."