What Could Have Been

"I can show you, you know."

Alec, who had been doing some spring cleaning in Magnus' apartment, stopped dusting for a second to look at him. "That sounds vague. What do you mean? Show me what?"

Magnus pointed to a mirror on the wall across from the window. "I can show you what could have been. Show you what your life would've been like if Max was still alive."

Alec stiffened at the mention of his little brother's name. "Why would I want that? He's dead. That's not going to change."

"No, but I thought you might want a glimpse into an alternate life. I know you've been dying to know what he'd be like today if he was still alive. It's a one time opportunity, Alexander. Just one time only."

Alec sighed. Ever since Max died, he had wondered what life would've been like if he hadn't been murdered by Sebastian's hand. Max didn't deserve to die as young as he did. He was just a child. He was barely starting to learn runes when he passed away.

"Fine. One time. If I don't like what I see-"

"You can withdraw from the vision any time you please. Your mind will be out there but your body will still be here. You'll react to your surroundings. Any signs of distress and I'll pull you out of the dream myself. Are we clear?"

Alec nodded. "Sure. Yeah. What do I have to do? Drink a liquid? Chant a nursery rhyme?"

Magnus rolled his eyes. "Lay down, you adorable idiot. I'll do the hard work. All you have to do is lie there and look pretty."

Alec laughed, laying down on the leather couch. "I can do that. This spell seems pretty easy so far."

"It's easy now, but this next part is tricky. The mirror is supposed to hover over your body and your soul goes inside it, exploring all the possible lives you could have lived."

Alec scratched his head. "My soul leaves my body? Isn't that a little dangerous?"

"It is but-"

"What if it doesn't come back?"

"Alec. Relax. I've done this before. With Vincent Van Gogh, actually. He wanted to see into his other lives. See visions of paintings he hadn't done yet."

"And how did that work out for him?"

Magnus hesitated. "He cut off his ear from insanity. And before you say anything, yes I was the reason behind that historic moment."

Alec shrugged. "Okay. At this point in our relationship, I automatically assume you're behind every historic checkpoint in history in the past 600 years."

Magnus grinned. "Aww, you're so sweet, Alexander. Now lay down and be quiet. I need complete concentration for this."

Alec closed his eyes. Magnus had begun speaking in an unknown language and had made the mirror on the wall hover above him. Alec peeked open an eye to glance at his reflection, but it was no longer there. Instead, the glass shimmered and vibrated, revealing hundreds of images of lives he could've had. Lives that could've happened if Max had lived.

"Close your eyes, Alec. Pick one. Any one you want. Pick it and dream it. I'll watch over you as your soul wanders. But remember.....what you see isn't real. None of it is real," Magnus said in a soft voice.

Alec let his mind wander, going through the images in his mind. When he found one he wanted, he reached out and took hold of it, and a flash of white light blinded him.

• • • • • • • •

"Alec. Get up. Mom's fuming. We're late for the decorating thingy."