Confessions Of A Closeted Shadowhunter

I've always imagined Alec admitting his crush on Magnus like this. So I guess this could've been a little scene somewhere in season one

Isabelle's room was mostly black and pink. She had went through a lot to get her way to change up the room and add a small training area to it and couldn't bring herself to change the room around after that. The bed was a canopy, curtains hanging from all sides of it, and was a king size fit for a queen. Because the Lightwood home was roomy, her bedroom had tons of space for everything she needed....which was mostly wardrobes for her clothes. She even had her own walk in closet just for her shoes and dresses. Alec didn't want to say it but she was spoiled. Daddy's little princess. Being the only girl, she got whatever she wanted when she wanted it.

"So how was your day? I heard you had an adventure," Isabelle blocked his blow with her own staff.

"I had a very confusing day," he ducked as she swung her staff at his head. "How was your day? We don't really get to talk much anymore. I hardly have anything to lecture you about."

Isabelle brushed his hair off his forehead as they took a short break, which he leaned into like a cat getting its fur stroked. "My day was okay. Same old crap as usual. Was there something you wanted to talk about? You look frustrated."

Alec shook his head. "No. It's nothing. Are you going to attack or not?"

"Hey, it's okay. Listen to me," Isabelle took her brother's hands in her own before he could swing. "You know you can confide in me, right?" She smiled as Alec nodded. "I got your back, big bro. Izzy's going to make everything okay. Don't worry. Now think fast!"

Alec flipped over her blow and mumbled. He thought back to when they were kids and Izzy would train to help get his focus off the sound of their parents yelling at each other in the room next to hers. She'd done a lot of things to protect him growing up, and there was nothing he could do to pay her back but be the best brother he could to her. "Actually...there is something I want to ask you."

"I'm listening," she said. She scowled as her staff made a loud crack as it collided into Alec's. "Damn it. Okay. Now I'm really listening."

Alec backed away to rub the sweat from his face. "How do you know if you like someone?"

Isabelle spit out her mouthful of water she had drank from her water bottle. Some landed on Alec's face and he looked horrified at her. "Fuck. I mean shit. I mean-sorry. What? Why do you ask that?"

Alec shrugged. "I'm just curious."

"Uh huh. Sure, Jan. Don't ask who that is." Grabbing a tissue, she wiped her brother's wet face with it. "Okay. If I answer your question, do you promise to tell me what's really going on?"

Alec nodded.

"Good. Okay. Well....love isn't just set so that it's meant to be between one male and one female. Love is....difficult."

"Difficult?" Alec cocked his head. "I don't need any more difficulties in my life, Izzy. It's complicated enough as it is."

Isabelle ignored him. "How can I explain this....okay. You know how when I make cookies, all the cookies are different?" She waited for Alec to respond, which he did with a nod. "Let's pretend those cookies are people. Everyone is different. Some people are tall. Some people are short. Some are thin. Some are thick. Not all of them are the same."

Alec understood what she meant a little but it was still a bit confusing. "Everyone is different. I know that. But how are cookies relevant to my question?"

Isabelle beamed. "Love is different, just like people. Some girls may be attracted to men or women. Sometimes both. Same goes for men. But attraction doesn't end with just looks. You can be attracted to personality, their intelligence. Lots of things."